Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Free Mozy Home Backup at capacity: What to do next?

Just notified that my free cloud backup, Mozy Home, is at its limit, 2 GB. I use it daily for auto backups of files.

I agree that it's only fair to pay for a service I use, but right now, dollars are tight. Upgrading to the next level of 50 GB would cost 5.99 a month ... and we all know how these small monthly fees add up.

Any suggestions on best way forward?

I do have an external HD, but use it for monthly image backups of both PC and laptop (both running Windows 7, SP1, by the way).

Thanks for any input from Loungers with more backup experience than I!

Linda

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well if you don't have sensitive information (Microsoft occasionally scans SkyDrive accounts looking for illegal content, Google may as well), just need off site backup and still keep it almost automated, you might try either SkyDrive (7GB for free) or GoogleDrive (15GB for free). The only un-automated part is that you need to save your data in the respective data folder (either SkyDrive or GoogleDrive) which can be in your documents folder I believe, in order for it to sync up with the online folders.

Thanks
    Linda:

Why not get a 2nd external hard drive, and use it for continual autobackup of files.

If you don't have software for that (I am assuming that you do), you could get Memeo. I have used Memeo, and it does a great job for continuous autobackups.

http://memeo.com/en/premium-backup/f.../?affChecked=1

Jim

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    There are alternative services that offer more free storage space. Skydrive is an option, but Cubby is a bit easier to use and will allow you 5 GB free.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-12-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks to all.

The external drive is one I've considered and it's still a possibility, just wanted a cloud service as well.

With the various suggested services, what happens to what is currently stored in Mozy? Do I just open a new service, have it backup everything; then, close Mozy since files are now backed up in a different service?

The only un-automated part is that you need to save your data in the respective data folder (either SkyDrive or GoogleDrive) which can be in your documents folder I believe, in order for it to sync up with the online folders.
    Not quite sure I understand this, but am sure it would come clear in the set up instructions for these services. Correct?

Cubby is totally new to me, but I will check it out. Thanks.

Linda

Thanks
    Linda:

Whatever service you select, it is good to have a service that will be around for a long time. If you start doing backups to their service, and they go out of business next month, whatever backups you have done will be "out of business" as well.

I would therefore go with a well-known service.

Also, read their policies on encryption and data security. See if they appear to have your interests in mind in these policies.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to trust my data to a free service. In all honesty, however, I haven't ever explored the free services, so I can't honestly advise along these lines.

Actually, I do backups to an external hard drive, so that I totally control the data, and so that I paid only one time, up front, for the hard drive.

Jim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A simpler (maybe) way of explaining is that wherever you put the local SkyDrive or GoogleDrive folder, if you want data to be backed up online, it has to be saved in that folder or sub-folder therein.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Linda:

Whatever service you select, it is good to have a service that will be around for a long time. If you start doing backups to their service, and they go out of business next month, whatever backups you have done will be "out of business" as well.

I would therefore go with a well-known service.

Also, read their policies on encryption and data security. See if they appear to have your interests in mind in these policies.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to trust my data to a free service. In all honesty, however, I haven't ever explored the free services, so I can't honestly advise along these lines.

Actually, I do backups to an external hard drive, so that I totally control the data, and so that I paid only one time, up front, for the hard drive.

Jim
    Most free services can be upgraded to paid services as well. I do agree with the advice to go with a service that has a known provider behind, it probably will ensure service longevity. Cubby, which I advised, is a service provided by LogMeIn, which a known provider of remote access services. It has a paid service, which I use.

With a small set of data, you can easily switch providers, anyway. It doesn't take that much time or effort to upload just a few GB, so the issue of having to find alternative providers is less relevant.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jim and Rui. Great advice. I've found free services from companies with, as Rui said, a history and reputation to work well for us and, as soon as it's possible, we upgrade to their paid versions. That said, I also keep on site backups for any critical data.

I am impressed with what I'm reading about Cubby so far and am looking at it and SkyDrive, which seems to get positive reviews as well, as replacements. Appreciate the heads up that it's not difficult to switch providers if your data is limited.

Will do more researching and post back. Really appreciate your thoughts and insights!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, read a lot about both and think I've decided on SkyDrive, mostly because I have Windows everything (well, except for an iPhone!) and because of its 7 GB free limit.

Not totally clear on whether I need to have both "SkyDrive on the Web" and "SkyDrive on my PC". Hope that will come clear as I work with it.

A simpler (maybe) way of explaining is that wherever you put the local SkyDrive or GoogleDrive folder, if you want data to be backed up online, it has to be saved in that folder or sub-folder therein.
    UPDATE BELOW QUESTIONS: Now that I've read a bit about SkyDrive, couple of questions re. having all my "stuff" backed up in the cloud:
    1. Is this SkyDrive folder created in My Documents automatically?
    2. Do I then need to put ALL my folders currently in My Documents, as well as any in Pictures, Videos, etc. into a "master" SkyDrive folder under My Documents or Documents?
    Maybe this is what Rui meant when he said Cubby was a little easier to use! I'll hold off on going ahead until I hear back.

UPDATE: Oops, just read a little further on the SkyDrive web page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/computer) and see that the answer to #2 is "yes", but it looks fairly straightforward.

And I guess, instead of "restoring" files as I do with Mozy, I "fetch" them from the cloud. Correct?

Thanks for helping through this!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-12-18 at 12:03. Reason: added Update

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, SkyDrive merely syncs the local SkyDrive folder contents with the cloud SkyDrive folder contents, it does not have provisions to set folders outside of the SkyDrive folder to be synced, so by default, all content (data) to be synced goes in the SkyDrive folder hierarchy.
    You'll get a default or prompt as to where to put the SkyDrive folder, it is easy to move if need be, mine is on a secondary drive.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Linda,

If you install the Desktop client (which I recommend, since you are going to use SkyDrive) and another utility, you can share any other folders more easily. Have a look here: http://janhannemann.wordpress.com/20...rive-reloaded/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes definitely use the desktop client. Not so sure about the SkyShellEx though, it physically moves the folder and data to the SkyDrive folder and leaves a junction surrogate at the original location, which had to be done in order for new data to be updated (instead of leaving the data where it was and creating the junction surrogate in the SkyDrive folder).

As long as you understand exactly what it's doing, that your data is not where you originally put it if you use SkyShellEx on a folder, then it's ok.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yikes! I read the link re. SkyShellEx and mostly got confused!

What I'd like to be able to do with a cloud backup service is this:
    1. keep copies of all my files in the cloud as extra data loss protection
    2. find and restore individual files from the cloud to my PC if needed

That's really all I need right now. Syncing between computers, having the files on my phone, etc. are features I don't need at the moment. So, 2 questions:

1. Will the SkyDrive desktop app do this?
    2. Do I need the extra SkyShellEx?

Sorry to be a bit dense about this!

Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast