Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Linda:

If you had a continuous autobackup program which would backup the desired files on your computer, and it used your Skydrive folder as the backup location, then you would have the result that you want. In fact, you would have two copies of the backup -- the Skydrive folder on your computer, and the Skydrive folder in the cloud.

I have mentioned Memeo. There are others.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Yikes! I read the link re. SkyShellEx and mostly got confused!

What I'd like to be able to do with a cloud backup service is this:
    1. keep copies of all my files in the cloud as extra data loss protection
    2. find and restore individual files from the cloud to my PC if needed

That's really all I need right now. Syncing between computers, having the files on my phone, etc. are features I don't need at the moment. So, 2 questions:

1. Will the SkyDrive desktop app do this?
    2. Do I need the extra SkyShellEx?

Sorry to be a bit dense about this!

Linda
    SkyDrive will allow you both, but you will need to change your folder organization, since everything you sync will have to be under the SkyDrive folder. That's the reason I don't use SkyDrive for my own backups, I don't want to organize my files to suit SkyDrive's folder scheme.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, I understand, but am trying not to purchase a program and it looks as if Memeo is not free. Trying to determine if SkyDrive alone will give me automated backup.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Linda,

I think the free Cubby version will be your best bet. You need to change nothing, just specify the folders you wanted backed up and it will be done automatically. Works very well, it's what SkyDrive should have been.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-12-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Jim, I understand, but am trying not to purchase a program and it looks as if Memeo is not free. Trying to determine if SkyDrive alone will give me automated backup.

Linda
    You're right. Memeo is not free.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to both of you for your replies and patient assistance. Will go back to Cubby, given the automatic feature will make things much easier. Will do the deed tomorrow (want to be fresh for any new software!) and post back results.

Appreciate you sticking with me through the twists and turns - not to mention saving me hours of reading and further research!

Linda

Thanks
    Linda, you're not the only one who learn a lot here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Linda.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Linda,

Works very well, it's what SkyDrive should have been.
    Oh goodness yes, yet another example of the latest Microsoft offerings not coming close to their former greatness. I know you liked Mesh and I loved it's predecessor, Live Sync.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Oh goodness yes, yet another example of the latest Microsoft offerings not coming close to their former greatness. I know you liked Mesh and I loved it's predecessor, Live Sync.
    Yes, absolutely. I loved it so much that now I am paying $50 / year to have "it". It's still hard for me to accept the diminished level of functionality of the SkyDrive desktop app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I undrrstand that you are not looking for a paid service, but have a look at SugarSync. They are discontinuing their free service but are offering 60GB for $18.75 for a year.

A nice feature about SugarSync is that you can select whuch folders you want backed up without them all being within the same root structure.
    I have had a couple of cases where SS generated a lot of traffic. This can be a problem if you are on a capped internet connection.

Another option with free storage is SpiderOak.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CatHerder For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IreneLinda I have been using SkyDrive (or whatever else MS has called it over the years) from the start and have never had any issue with it, it is very easy to use, if you down load the pc client like many folks have said to it makes it even easier to work with. I you have MS office installed it will even install save locations for you, so when you want to save it can be local or sky drive or both! As for security i will take MS over a lot of other company’s today simply because MS has already claimed the learning curve and put the money and people connections into making it work. Yes there are other company’s out there but you said you have a windows computer and a iPhone if you want with sky drive and apps on the iPhone you can save and should be able to sync (If apple is not pissed off this week) but you also have external drive which i also have for my main backup and that has worked perfect for well over 10 yrs. So all these choices are good one is free one will cost you, you need to choose.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As always in technology, you hope for black and white but can get only gray! Both SkyDrive and Cubby sound great. The challenge for those of us who are not particularly technical (and don't want to be) is that making a decision usually comes down to examining tech specifics, not something I'm comfortable doing.

For now, I'm going with Cubby and monitoring how it goes. The positive things from all these great posts is knowing how many options there are out there. If a user isn't happy with one, just try another.

By the way, Sugar Sync's cost is super reasonable.

Thanks for everyone's input and help. Posting back re. Cubby once it's up and running.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Keep us posted .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SugarSync is running a special this week at 75% off for a year. 60 GB for less than $20.00. It is not really a "backup' service as it's focus is on synching between devices and sharing.
    Another alternative is Crashplan. Crashplan's cloud backup costs but it offers a free automatic backup locally. You could get a USB stick and backup to that. Or you and a friend could agree to use Crashplan to backup to each other's PCs. Still not cloud but provides offsite backup and still free. Neither method has a data limit as far as I can tell. It has 128 bit encryption.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast