Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-use of OS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-use of OS

I have a laptop that I purchased several years ago. It came with Win7 Home Premium 32 bit. I found out after a while that the computer is actually a 64 bit machine. So, I purchased a 64 bit Win7 disk from the computer company and replaced the 32 bit OS. The 32 bit OS disk has been languishing in the drawer for several years and I'm wondering if it can be used on another computer. The family has another laptop with Win Vista Home Basic. I also have an additional HD that is not being used. I don't want to mess anything up. Hence, my questions: Will anything bad happen if I replace the Vista HD with my extra drive and install the unused Win7 32 bit OS? If I do that, will I then be able to put the original Vista HD back with no harm? Can I expect the 32 bit Win7 OS to re-register to that computer OK? The two computers are not the same brand, if that makes any difference.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

I think you could achieve all of the things you ask about without much difficulty. It's possible that your Windows won't activate automatically, but if you call Microsoft I am sure they will solve that for you, if it happens, as it is not certain that Windows won't activate.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    As long as your disk is a genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, and NOT an OEM type, you should be good to go.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Worst comes to worst, you can always reinstall your original hard drive and get right back to Vista Basic.

As far as whether or not it will work, I would make sure that you have an internet-connected computer handy before you start, so that you can download the Windows 7 NIC driver (network interface card) for the laptop which currently has Vista on it. After you have installed Windows 7 on the Vista laptop, as long as you have the correct Windows 7 NIC driver for the laptop, you will be able to go on the manufacturer's web site and download and install all of the other drivers.

In other words, when you install Windows 7 on the Vista laptop, you will probably need several drivers: NIC, chipset, audio, etc. As long as the NIC is working, you can easily download the rest.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have an OEM version of Win7 it is tied to the machine on which it was supplied. You will be violating the license terms even if you can get it to install.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,
    All of the OSs I'm talking about came installed on a computer and are OEM. So, they may not re-activate. I just wanted to make sure that by trying it that I wouldn't screw something up so that I couldn't revert back to my Vista HD without having to go through a re-install (I also have an image backup. So, its not a real big deal).

Thanks for all the tips. Considering how close we are to the holidays, I think I'll put off any experimenting until after the New Year.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, hello.
    I had a machine loaded with W-7 OEM and had to format the HD. I then tried to load from scratch, a full install of W-7, from a 3-license family DVD, an upgrade DVD. Nogo ! We knew this. A call to MS solved the problem and the machine is still running. Food for thought. I do not want to give you an argument, just that it is possible. Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    handcuff36,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    To anyone that might know: The OS that I'm dealing with is going (if successful) from one computer brand to another. In the event that I have a similar experience as handcuff36, who do I call, the "From" computer mfg, the "To" computer mfg, or MS?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

If it fails to activate it pops up an option to use telephone you only have to tell it what country you are in and it gives you a number to call, then follow the prompts. It can take a while but call is free so be patient.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, yobil
    Once you removed an OEM OS, the manufacturer will not want to talk to you. As CC said, a call to MS is the thing to do. It will a robot type of call, it will ask questions, your replies will be decoded to the robot phonetically and the process will carry on. Remember to say that only one ( 1 ) device is to be loaded. Before this, you will have to tell it of nine ( 9 ) groups of six ( 6 ) digits generated by your machine, this will identify it to MS. The process will then be reversed and the robot will tell you the same amount of digits that you will enter. If you satisfy the process, you will see in the lower right corner of your screen the genuine blue flag. Fear not, it does work.
    I still think that a fresh install with that 32 bit DVD should work out. After it finishes, should the ULA not be satisfied, you will be given 30 days to activate, that is when you should go to -> Control Panel -> System and at the bottom of the page you will see a prompt to activate. Have at it. Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    handcuff36 & curiousclive,
    Thanks for the step by step. I've printed this off and will put it to use after we get past the holidays.
    I appreciate all the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Moving an OEM version of Windows from one PC to another is prohibited by the license. A OEM version preinstalled on a PC is tied to that PC.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Joe, hello.
    I had a machine loaded with W-7 OEM and had to format the HD. I then tried to load from scratch, a full install of W-7, from a 3-license family DVD, an upgrade DVD. Nogo ! We knew this. A call to MS solved the problem and the machine is still running. Food for thought. I do not want to give you an argument, just that it is possible. Jean.
    Yes, but you did not move it to another PC. Replacing an HD is permissible and should not cause you to have to purchase another Windows license. As you found out, a call to Microsoft was in order.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, hello.
    I read back on post #1 here for clarification. Yobil seems to imply that the OEM disk that he wants to use is not a CD/DVD but the HD itself that has W-7 on it. Right ?
    I am sure that an intervening call to MS would see the OS be validated. MS really wants to be one of their users, I am sure that I went this route before and got validated, a while back so I do not recall when nor where. Thanks for suffering my question. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Joe, hello.
    I read back on post #1 here for clarification. Yobil seems to imply that the OEM disk that he wants to use is not a CD/DVD but the HD itself that has W-7 on it. Right ?
    I am sure that an intervening call to MS would see the OS be validated. MS really wants to be one of their users, I am sure that I went this route before and got validated, a while back so I do not recall when nor where. Thanks for suffering my question. Jean.
    See post#8. The OP appears to be moving an OEM version from one machine to another. That is not permitted regardless of how it is moved.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast