New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 64bit and Office 2003

Does anyone have an informed opinion on how Office 2003 will work with Windows 8? (I am looking at Win8 Pro, 64bit in particular)

Windows says it's not compatible.

However I found this comment in a blog saying it works fine, if the PC is a Win 8 clean install and not an upgrade from Win7.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-...8-pro-x64.html

Now some people may ask themselves why I want to stick with Office 03.
    Simple it's still the fastest out there in terms of heavy vba based excel calculations.
    And to me it matters if I finish a set of calculations in 6 months rather than in 12.

Below is an old thread, but it reflects pretty much my own experience after testing Excel in Office 07 and Office 10. (Haven't tried 13 though. I have given up on hoping for faster calculations).
    http://help.lockergnome.com/office/E...ict950956.html

I am in the process of buying a new PC and I need to know if I can buy it with Win8 or if I need to stick with Win7, in order to run my calculations with Excel 2003.

Thanks in advance for any comments
    Massimo
    Phuket

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

I know we have more than one Lounger who uses Office 2003 on Windows 8. BTW, if possible get the PC with Windows 8.1.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Thanks a lot for your swift reply. I have decided to go ahead and and give Win 8.1 a try.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had no trouble installing Office 2003 Pro on Win 8.1/64 Pro. I don't know if a particular install sequence has caused problems for others, but mine was a Win8 clean install, followed immediately by an 8.1 upgrade, followed by installation of Office and the rest of my apps.

I'm not a fan of ribbons so saw no reason to retire my trusty Office 2003. Unfortunately, Win8 is full of ribbons, so I probably need to get used to them.