Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"IE 11 has stopped working" error message

I'm having problems with IE 11 on two laptops, one is a fairly new Win 8 machine, the other Win 7. Just a default installations no fancy gimmicks or customizing.

For 3 months or so IE10 worked perfectly on the Win 8 machine, then an automatic update installed IE 11. Soon after that I started getting a pop-up, "Internet Explorer has stopped working" & "Checking for a solution". There never was a solution, but restarting IE usually cleared the problem, until next time, which might have been a day or two later. Now things have reached a point where IE 11 starts normally with Google as the home page, and there will be no error messages until something, anything, is entered in the search box. Within a second or two there's an error message:

"Internet Explorer has stopped working" & "Checking for a solution".
    Followed shortly by:
    "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
    I'd download Firefox but IE shuts down, that's one way to keep the opposition at bay.

I tried System Restore, the earliest restore point is just one month ago. Ran that, and it ended with "System Restore Failed." And I think it was "C:\Windows not restored" or words to that effect. I've undone the restore, but could try it again if the exact wording would help.

The Win 8 machine is also using IE 11, again a plain vanilla installation, but this one only pops up the error message on some Web pages, others cause no problems at all.

Where to start looking????

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-12-16 at 17:42. Reason: More info

Thanks
    David:

I believe you have two choices here:

1. Uninstall IE 11, which will put you back to IE 10. That may be the easiest way to solve this.

2. Find out where the conflict is. This will be a tedious process, but I am confident you can find, then eliminate, the cause of this problem.

To troubleshoot it, download and install ShellExView, a program which will allow you to easily disable/enable all of the DLLs which are running on your computer:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

Run ShellExView, then disable all non-Microsoft DLLs. See if that solved the problem.

If it did, then reenable a few at a time, rebooting after each reenable. See if the problem comes back. If it does, note what you enabled right before the problem recurred. Disable that, and enable everything else (then reboot), to confirm that that was, in fact, the cause of the problem.

Once you identify the problem, you can uninstall that program, or perhaps just leave it disabled via ShellExView.

There's a good chance that you will solve it with ShellExView.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick response, ShellExView sounds like a serious tool! What springs to my mind is "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" And the trouble with going back to IE 10 is that some Websites say "Unsupported version of Web browser." Picky, picky! However, I have managed to get Firefox installed, downloaded the Setup Stub.exe on to a jump drive and ran that on the Win 8 machine. So my wife has got her e-mail back. I'll see how she gets on for the next day or two, if she's okay with Firefox I'll resort to the other aphorism, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Thanks again,

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried resetting IE 11 to defaults and then running it without add-ons against those problem web sites - you could still reinstate Google as your home page.

I occasionally get the stopped working message with IE 10 and 11 in Win 7 and think it may have something to do with Shockwave, but without that enabled the sites could be problematic anyway, although you would normally get a prompt to allow Shockwave to run.

Because of the intermittent errors that I get, I haven't been able to nail it down to a given site or event as it can occur when closing multiple tabs or at any time.

Edit

If a restore point fails in normal mode, then retry it in Safe Mode as AV programs can interfere with restore points - think it may have something to do with reverting their Definitions.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-16 at 18:50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since installing Firefox on the Win 8 machine that my wife uses there haven't been any screams of frustration. If it's good enough for her it's good enough for me and I will leave well alone.

On the Win 7 machine I only get this problem with two on-line banking sites, different banks. The really annoying thing is that if there's a hiccup I have to start over from the log-in screen, and UK & Irish banks take security very seriously, it's a long multi-step process to get back in. Not sure if the sites need Shockwave, heck I don't even know what it is, nor how to disable it!

David

Ah, just found it. Adobe Systems Inc. Hmmm! Purveyors of cr*pware to the masses. That might explain a lot!
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-12-17 at 13:14.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Shockwave has just had a recent update so don't know if that would improve things, but an unstable IE is usually down to add-ons and running IE 11 either without add-ons or with Shockwave disabled in Manage add-ons against those sites may identify it as the culprit, but if the sites required Shockwave then you would get the prompt to allow it.

IE 11 is default 64 bit which can be reverted to 32 bit by going Tools - Internet options and under the Advanced tab, scroll down to Security and uncheck the box for Enable Enhanced Protected Mode, but I've had it stop working in both modes so that may not fix it for you either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the same problem of "IE has stopped working". At first I went through the usual acceptance of my fate. Then I rebelled.
    I found that if you just "X" out of the dialog box, everything continues as if nothing had happened.
    Go figure!

Thanks
    If it's only happening at banking web sites, is it possible that these sites are using Trusteer or some similar security software? There have been some compatibility issues with that type of (banking security) software. There are also sometimes security certificate issues between banking sites and IE.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I have this notification on any and all sites, and just click out of it. It sometimes happens when closing a tab as well. Funny, it does not occur on my wife's PC, which is almost identical to mine with the same OS/IE versions. One of these days I will have the time to figure out what is happening, but this is presently a low priority item for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    So now I bought the new disc for Windows 7 today to proceed to update my old desktop computer from XP over to Win 7.

I asked the sales people about what I should do with reference to what version of IE I should utilize if I were to make it my browser? They said get the latest one,.....that would be ?? version 10 or 11?

But I am really disappointed to here of folks having this trouble with IE10 and 11 on a machine with the newer Win 7 on it. That is one of the things I was hoping to get away from,...this constant 'explorer has stopped working'. or is hung up, etc.
    Will Microsoft EVER get anything to work correctly anymore?

I'm getting so fed up I think I will go buy a MAC

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    IE 11 can have compatibility problems with some web sites and adding them in to the Compatibility list may resolve that, but I don't have any problems with IE 10 on my Win 7 and would suggest trying that as starters.

To stop the Windows Updates for IE 11, go Tools - About Internet Explorer and uncheck the box for auto updates, then go into Windows Updates and hide the one you may already have by then for IE 11.

A lot of people think that MACs are overpriced for what you get, but when Win 7 works, it's great but when it doesn't - it can be a PITA.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking on my laptop that is running Win 7 to see what version of IE Explorer is running. I can't find it??

Should it be that difficult to ID the version that is on this machine?, or is it just my lack of understanding 'computer language'??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I'm looking on my laptop that is running Win 7 to see what version of IE Explorer is running. I can't find it??

Should it be that difficult to ID the version that is on this machine?, or is it just my lack of understanding 'computer language'??
    Go Tools (Cog) - click on About Internet Explorer as I'd described in my last post and that will also display the IE version.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Go Tools (Cog) - click on About Internet Explorer as I'd described in my last post and that will also display the IE version.
    Okay I went to 'Tools' and I found NO subheading about 'Internet Explorer' ??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When you click on Tools, you should see About Internet Explorer below Internet options and is the last title in that window.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast