Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I do NOT see such an a heading? ...my last one is Internet Options??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I do NOT see such an a heading? ...my last one is Internet Options??
    Strange that and with a new install of Win 7.

See what a direct download of IE 10 reports http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...0-details.aspx - if you already have it then it will say so on the opening page.

If the e in the system tray (if it's pinned there) is dark blue then you could still have the default IE 8.

Also try resetting it to defaults.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-23 at 17:40.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Strange that, and with a new install of Win 7.
    Let me correct a possible misunderstanding. This laptop computer I am trying to determine which IE version installed is a factory installed computer that came with Win 7 and whatever IE they put on it.

See what a direct download of IE 10 reports http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...0-details.aspx - if you already have it then it will say so on the opening page.
    So here is the message I got,
    "The latest version available for your system is already installed.
    You are currently running Internet Explorer 11. The download that you have selected is an earlier version of Internet Explorer
    Click "Next" to download Internet Explorer 10 or use the navigation above to continue searching for downloads."

So now I have several questions:
    1) If the latest (greatest?) version is IE11, why would it suggest I could download IE10 ??

2) Strange that there is no better way to confirm what program is on one's computer? In the old XP system you could go to the add/remove programs and the version of IE one had on their computer would show up. Isn't that correct?

3) One of the reasons I was trying to find out what IE version I had on this laptop computer was that I seem to have very little problems with its compatibility with various web pages, and very little (if any) compatibility with my gmail accounts.

On the other hand I had LOTS of compatibility problems with my desktop computer running XP and IE8 (I think IE8 was the highest version I could run on that desktop with XP on it). My gmail accounts constantly gave me messages that IE8 was incompatible with gmail, and that I needed to upgrade to a newer browser.

Now that I am preparing to install Win 7 on that older desktop computer, I was researching what IExplorer I should put on it,....and of course I thought I should make it similar to my laptop computer.....sounds correct doesn't it?

But I am always in doubt as to whether the latest/greatest Microsoft products are really just that,...or are they riddled with flaws,...or just not so good....like a few of their recent operating systems.... Vista, ME, etc I have a good friend who utilizes a new office computer with Win 8 for their home repair business. She hates it.

If the e in the system tray (if it's pinned there) is dark blue then you could still have the default IE 8.
    It is not dark blue, so I guess it must be IE11 as it indicates by the download message you told me about above.

Also try resetting it to defaults.
    At this particular time I don't think I want to take a chance to upset matters. My laptop is working find.

There are a few forum websites (one boating one, and one Thailand one) that seem to operate pretty slowly for me, but I think that is due to the tremendous amount of advertising crapp those forums allow to run on their sites. I would love to figure out how to bypass that crapp on those sites.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just reinstalled IE 11 and I have the About Internet Explorer option to click on so I don't know why you haven't on an OEM Win 7/IE 11 machine, but going to Installed Updates and looking for the Internet Explorer update (if greater than IE 8) will show you what you have installed.

Perhaps opening a command prompt as an administrator and running the command sfc /scannow may reinstate it, but resetting IE to defaults is a recognized first step to correcting any problems that you get with IE - the other one is to run IE without add-ons, so resetting IE to defaults won't upset anything and once it's back after the reboot, you can put your own settings in such as -

Your preferred Home page.
    Under General/Browsing history/Delete - check the boxes to delete what you want deleted on close.
    Under Browsing history/Settings change the Disk space used to 100MB.
    Under Content/AutoComplete/Settings - uncheck the bottom two boxes.
    Under Advanced check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering as this can pre-empt Flashplayer/video viewing problems.
    Still under the Advanced tab, scroll down to Security and check the box for Use TLS 1.2

Then go into Manage add-ons/Search Providers and check the box for Prevent programs suggesting changes etc.

The reason you are still given the option to download IE 10 is because you've clicked on the link for its direct download, but to revert your current version of IE is done by uninstalling whichever version is listed in Installed Updates and that will revert to whichever version that was in use prior to upgrading to whatever you have and I've found it's best to reset IE to defaults before doing so.

I cannot confirm what you get on XP as my life started with Win 7 and will continue to do so.

As you generally don't have any problems with IE 11 then go with that but the reason gmail is giving you some grief with IE 8, is that support is gradually being withdrawn for IE 8 with the demise of XP and because for those using later versions of Windows, later versions of IE should be used for security.

For those who are hanging onto XP generally turn to Firefox as a workaround to the compatibility problems with IE 8 when accessing those sites.

Adblock Plus will block most of the annoying adverts, but if a given site uses similar coding to insert some of its info, then that info will also be blocked.

An example of that for me is www.sportinglife.com where when ADP is installed, the Starting Prices in red in the right column of the Race Cards don't display.

With ADP installed, right click in an area in the top bar and check Status bar and then you will see a small ADP icon bobbing just above the system tray when active.

I often get IE has stopped working when closing multiple tabs, but closing the alert box with the red cross stops losing the web page that I'm on.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-24 at 06:16.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

beiland (2014-03-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This error message happens often to me when using Windows 8.1 and IE11. So, I just use Chrome Browser most of the time. I know that isn't a "solution" to stop the error, but I'm tired of messing with it.

Thanks
    Another way to get your version of IE is to enable the menu bar (right click on a blank area at the top of the screen and check Menu bar). Then click on Help > About Internet Explorer.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Another way to get your version of IE is to enable the menu bar (right click on a blank area at the top of the screen and check Menu bar). Then click on Help > About Internet Explorer.
    Jerry
    That worked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12