Thread: Classic Shell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Classic Shell

I bought a new laptop about a month ago and it came with Windows 8.1. I really wanted to stick with W7 but I figured that I need to move forward and join the future. While I won't say it was a mistake, it sure is a learning curve. I get the feeling that Apple is laughing all the way to the bank in how they got MS to put this hybrid mess together. The App side of this whole thing is just a total joke on a PC. It might make sense on a phone or tablet but when you want to get work done it is just a PITA. I'll bet Apple has sold more than a few Macs, based on people not wanting to deal with W8. Thankfully, MS did make 8.1 where you could boot directly to the desktop, so that is where I spend most of my time.

The real saver was downloading Classic Shell. It brings the W7 start button back and makes it so much smoother to use. Not that I am opposed to change, I embrace change but only when it makes sense. The W8 Start just doesn't make sense.

I highly recommend Classic Shell if you are getting annoyed with the way W8 is put together.

Thanks
    I think you're in good company.

I use StartIsBack for the same purpose.
    The one feature that I didn't take advantage of till recently was, Disable the Four Corners. Once I did that, Windows 8.1 is exactly like Windows 7 (once you get logged in), except that it is a bit faster and feels more stable than Windows 7.

Glad you found your way out of Lala Land!

Thanks
    We have been discussing these Start Menu replacements since well before Win 8 was officially released. We use both Classic Shell (wife's PC) and Start8 (my PC) in out household. These are the first apps I install. It's pretty easy to get around using them, but these just make things easier. My Sticky Thread on Taking the Scary out of Win 8 was written before Win 8 was officially released and is still appropriate for the most part with Win 8.1.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post

Not that I am opposed to change, I embrace change but only when it makes sense. The W8 Start just doesn't make sense.
    Indeed, the other thing that makes me keep saying; this is 2013 right(?), not 1913 right(?), is cell phone voice quality. I listen to a lot of radio, with many phone interviews and they are now UNIVERSALLY BAD. Most of them sound like they're calling from the bottom of a pool on the moon. Smart phones are good for a lot other things but at being a phone, they STINK!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Indeed, the other thing that makes me keep saying; this is 2013 right(?), not 1913 right
    Are you sure? Perhaps you're not Y2K compliant; if not, you'll never know for sure which year it is!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    All I know is that I'm not sure if the interview I listened to yesterday was with Danny Trejo or the Mary had a little lamb recording from 1878!