New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading Preinstalled (OEM) Windows 8 or 8.1 Core to 8.1 Pro

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of evaluating a new desktop to buy. The 2 ones I like best come with preinstalled Windows Core. One has 8 the other 8.1.
    I am currently in Switzerland and both 8 and 8.1 Core OEM Retail for CHF 119 and Pro for CHF 159. So my thought was that upgrading to Pro should cost ca 40 CHF. After googling it up, I am now under the impression that upgrading core to pro is a nearly impossible task and that I would actually have to buy a full retail version of Pro at ca CHF 330.

Some blogs were writing something about hardcoding a windows code on to the bios and that is generating the problem.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it truly that difficult to upgrade Core to Pro? Or is there another, financially more reasonable way?

Thanks
    Massimo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Massimo,

I successfully upgraded my Win 8.0 Core machine to Win 8.0 Pro using the Upgrade I purchased when 8.0 first came out. I actually transferred this from another machine (took a call to MS but no real problem). I then upgraded it to 8.1 (free upgrade) w/o problems other than ones I caused myself in a finally successful effort to keep from using a MS Account as my logon (they really want you to do it that way). I would think the easiest way from Core to Pro would be via the Windows Anytime Upgrade path. As to the cost I can't help you there. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, in Windows 8, Anytime Upgrade has been replaced by Add Features.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Upgrading to either Win 8 Pro or Win 8.1 Pro should not be a big deal technically. It would probably be cheaper to find a Window 8 Pro Pack online, install it, and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 since the 8-to-8.1 upgrade it free.

Before you begin any upgrade process be sure to backup the PC. Since it is a new PC, I recommend doing all the OS upgrades before installing any software or moving any existing data to the new machine.

Joe