New Lounger
    Thanks

Weather App Requires Admin (elevated) Permission

Greetings... I like to use a Weather application from The Weather Network <http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather-apps/> on my Win7 Pro 64-bit PC. However, it will only run when I provide elevated permission. I can understand running as an Administrator for a utility but not a desktop weather app. btw, such permission isn't required for a separate Win7 Ultimate 32-bit PC nor a Win8 Virtual PC running inside the 64-bit system. Any suggestions where to start looking for a solution? Tx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!!

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Have you tried right clicking the program exe, select Properties, then Compatibility, and checking "run this program as an administrator". You may wish to do that for all users.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Have you tried right clicking the program exe, select Properties, then Compatibility, and checking "run this program as an administrator". You may wish to do that for all users.
    Yes, Joe, I've done all that and I can run it as an administrator, but I don't want to grant elevated permission if it isn't absolutely necessary. Also, I used to be able to have it run on start-up but no longer. Many thanks for your suggestions. Cheers, Stephen

Thanks
    Are you logged in as an administrator?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Are you logged in as an administrator?
    Yes, Jerry, I'm logged in as an administrator. As mentioned, I can get it to run "provided" I grant permission but, for me, the question is why? A whole lot of other programs, Adobe Acrobat, MS Word, WordPerfect, iTunes, etc. don't require elevated permission. I understand why this is necessary for Acronis True Image, jv16 PowerTools, Malwarebytes, etc. but not why a desktop weather app needs it and is there something I can change or is it some bad coding or because I'm using a 64-bit version of Win7?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I suspect it is accessing an area of the system which is restricted. It is unlikely you can do anything. It probably bad coding in not knowing the differences between 32-bit Windows & 64-bit Windows and what is restricted access.

Have you tried the Weather Channel support forum?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried the Weather Channel support forum?
    Alas, this is an app from The Weather Network, a Canadian weather service, and not the Weather Channel. I could open a browser window, but I like this app sitting in/on the taskbar where I can quickly see what is going on... right now the temp is 0 degrees Celsius which, I suppose, means there is "no" weather.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sorry that I was not paying close enough attention to the name in your original post. Have you tried Contact Us: Comments, questions and suggestions for the Weather Network? It does not look like their support area has much there.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Contact Us: Comments, questions and suggestions for the Weather Network? It does not look like their support area has much there.
    Yes, I tried contacting them and they did respond but it wasn't much/any help. I'll explore what Wunderground may be able to offer. Thanks for trying to help solve this problem. Best wishes of the season to all... Cheers, Stephen