2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google Chrome Sneaking In On Back of Flash Player.

Hello again, colleagues all,

On many occasions (but not always), if I try to run a video link on YouTube or on another source, a pop-up will open saying that in order to run the video I will need to download Adobe Flash Player 11. The funny thing is, I already have Flash Player installed. If I bow to the inevitable, the download takes place and I can play the video. However, I suddenly find that I am also downloading google Chrome which, as is the usual case with Google products, tries to take over your system, becoming the default everything. When I look closely at the pop-up, I find that there is a little check-box agreeing to download Chrome. After I have deleted Chrome (I keep as much distance between me and Google as I can), the next time this pop-up appears, I untick the check-box. The nett result is that Flash Player is installed (or at least goes through the motions, as I have the same version already), but I am not allowed to play the video. The pop-up just repeats itself.

Is there any solution to this problem. Why must I suffer this intrusion from Google? Can any of you clever people out there help me to participate again in the world of on-line videos???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're lucky if all you get is Chrome since you are describing one of the most used methods for getting folks to install malware.
    No ifs ands or buts, if you need flash you go to the source and download and install it from there; never from any popup.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I fear there is no way around that. Probably Adobe gets paid to do it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    You're lucky if all you get is Chrome since you are describing one of the most used methods for getting folks to install malware.
    No ifs ands or buts, if you need flash you go to the source and download and install it from there; never from any popup.
    The source also tries to plug nice stuff like the McAfee scanner or something. I think the popups, most likely, lead to Adobe anyway.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Go to Uninstall Flash Player and download the Flash uninstaller. Close IE. Run the uninstaller. Re-boot. Go to Adobe and install Flash. Be sure to clear the checkbox so Chrome is not installed.

Be aware that some websites have not been updated to recognize Flash version 11.

Joe

Thanks
    Their are clean, as in no addons, direct, as in straight from the Adobe/Oracle servers, download links for the full Flash installers (and the uninstaller) on Corrine's blog, Security Garden. The current Flash page is: http://securitygarden.blogspot.co.uk...shockware.html.

This is my first port of call whenever a new Flash version is announced.