Thanks

Keep getting Google Portugal

On Chrome and Firefox, when I search for Google, I don't get the .co.uk version. When I click on the .com link, it gives me .pt rather than .co.uk. I also get some Portuguese on Google Play on my Nexus 7 and on my desktop browsers (I assume 'Jogos em destaque' is Portuguese. At the risk of offending Rui, I want my English back. I've cleared cache and cookies, but still get Portuguese on Play. Any suggestions?

I've looked on Google help, but I'm not entirely sure of what I can search for. I'm not even sure of which forum to put this in!

More info: I've looked up my IP address and it shows a location in London (though I'm in Exeter) so I assume that's not the problem
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2013-12-18 at 04:57. Reason: More info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    No offense there, I use Google.com instead of Google.pt myself (I shouldn't even be using Google at all... oh well).

'Jogos em destaque' is Portuguese - something close to 'Highlighted Matches'. You don't have Portuguese added as a language either in your OS or any of the browsers do you?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks Rui - just checked in FF, Chrome and Opera and all say just English. Checked in languages in control panel and the same. It seemed to start a couple of weeks ago in Google search. I only noticed it on my Nexus last night which was the first time I had gone into it for a while. MS apps doesn't have the problem, so it seems a Google problem. It happens whether I'm logged in or not. It just seems to be Google has decided I'm in Portugal, but the pages aren't all Portuguese, but a mixture of both Portuguese and English.

Perhaps I should try in IE - but there's a limit to everything!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you get it on the Nexus, I would suppose that's either related to IP or Google account. Do you use Chrome signed in to your Google account?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Using chrome: Typing in google.com gets me google.co.pt - all in Portuguese. Signing in gets me the same page but in English (url is https://www.google.pt/?gws_rd=cr&ei= but I've deleted the letters after the last '=' sign).

Going to https://www.google.co.uk/ and it works OK except after logging in (and I'm invited to login again) and going to Google Play gives me some Portuguese. The url is https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=w8 (the hl=en seems to imply English). Nowhere can I see where Portuguese is given as an option which I can change.

I have a suspicion that it started after my Nexus was upgraded to Android 4.2.2, but this may well be a red herring (a false clue). It would be good to find a way of contacting Google to ask them as none of the problem solving pages has anything like this problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I was trying to determine whether this could be associated with either your account or your IP, thus my question about you being logged on to your Google account while browsing or not. If it happened while logged in, I would suggest trying logged out. If it stopped happening, it would something with your google account for sure. If it continued, maybe it would be your IP. I would then suggest a quick test with a free VPN, to see if it would happen with another IP.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hmm, I will ask Plusnet (my IP) about this. I can take my tablet to another house and use their service (via WiFi) to see if the problem goes away. I'm seeing someone tonight who I already have WiFi set up with, so I'll take it and see what gives. Certainly logging out makes no difference....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hope you can get to the bottom of it. I know how annoying those things can be. I hate when I am offered a Portuguese interface when my browser has English as the first language. Most sites used to respect those choices, now it seems they must use some sort of IP location. I hate it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I wonder if someone who speaks Portuguese has somehow hijacked your computer.

Try disabling 3rd party browser extensions, to see if that eliminates the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I wonder if someone who speaks Portuguese has somehow hijacked your computer.

Try disabling 3rd party browser extensions, to see if that eliminates the problem.
    But would that also affect my Nexus tablet in the same way? And I don't have the same extensions on all three browsers where it occurs. And I've just tried IE and it's the same, even though I don't use it and haven't added any extensions.

Unfortunately I was unable to test at my friend's tonight, but I'll try calling Plusnet tomorrow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What to do if Google is sending you to the wrong domain
    How to visit Google.com instead of your local domain

Google.com automatically takes me to another Google site

Bruce

Thanks
    Do other search engines work correctly, or do they also send you another country's results?

Thanks
    I have just spoken to Plusnet (my ISP) and they suggested resetting the router (straightened paperclip in small reset hole). They said its DNS server was the problem (but didn't know how it had got changed). This has fixed the problem of Google.com going to co.pt and Google play also has everything in English. I has to clear the cache on my tablet as it still had Portuguese on it and that's now fixed too. I don't have to learn Portuguese (not easy at my age, and I'm still having problems with English ).

So what other sites are helpful like Google and take the .com link to the country domain where you are? It would have helped pinpoint the problem earlier had I not thought it was specifically Google's problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this place rocks!

p.s. how do I change the title to add 'solved'?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you solved it. Marking a thread solved, which also locks it, is done from the Thread Tools menu:

CaptureThreads.JPG
    Rui
    -------
    R4