New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer very slow after Dec updates

I installed the Dec 2013 updates on my win 7 pro machine except the 2 kernel ones. now it is VERY slow and most programs won't run. Rebooting is painfully slow. Task manager shows most services are stopped

Has anyone else seen this and have any recommendations to fix?
    TIA
    wd

Thanks
    I have on occasion seen a Windows update cause issues. If you can pinpoint the day that the problem started, you could uninstall any Windows updates which got installed immediately before the problem started, to see if that fixes it. Before uninstalling them, make note of the numbers (e.g. KB123456), so that if that didn't fix it, you can reinstall them.

Another thing you might try: ShellExView. ShellExView is a program which will allow you to disable all or some of the DLLs which are running on your computer. It is very simple to use. Go to http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html and downloaded and install ShellExView. Disable all non-Microsoft dll files. See if the problem disappears after doing that. If so, you will know that you are on the right track.

Reenable a few DLLs at a time, rebooting after each reenable. If the problem returns at some point, you will know which DLL caused the problem. Enable all other DLLs, and disable the offending DLL, then reboot, to confirm.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You could also rollback everything by restoring your system to previously successful running state. Just go through the system tools and then restore option of your Windows 7 PC and choose any previous date when your system was working as you're expecting.

Note: This will not uninstall update, though make your system and everything on track.

Good Luck though...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you restore to a point immediately before the updates, they will no longer be installed and then check if your computer is running as it should.

You can then go back into Windows Update and if they aren't showing as being ready to download, click on Check for updates.

When it finds them click on what it wants to give you then uncheck the top box which will deselect all and then you can install one at a time until if the problem reoccurs, making a note of each one as you select to install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know exactly when it happened: Dec14th when I installed the latest round of updates. I've uninstalled one and had some marginal improvement so I will continue this process. Any suggestions as to what order to uninstall them? Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I'm taking it slow in any event. My wife just had a total knee replacement and I got her home from the hospital today. My time is otherwise occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I have on occasion seen a Windows update cause issues. If you can pinpoint the day that the problem started, you could uninstall any Windows updates which got installed immediately before the problem started, to see if that fixes it. Before uninstalling them, make note of the numbers (e.g. KB123456), so that if that didn't fix it, you can reinstall them.

Another thing you might try: ShellExView. ShellExView is a program which will allow you to disable all or some of the DLLs which are running on your computer. It is very simple to use. Go to http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html and downloaded and install ShellExView. Disable all non-Microsoft dll files. See if the problem disappears after doing that. If so, you will know that you are on the right track.

Reenable a few DLLs at a time, rebooting after each reenable. If the problem returns at some point, you will know which DLL caused the problem. Enable all other DLLs, and disable the offending DLL, then reboot, to confirm.