5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The 2013 ultimate Windows Secrets utilities list

BEST UTILITIES

The 2013 ultimate Windows Secrets utilities list

By Tracey Capen

Throughout our publishing year, Windows Secrets contributors recommend utilities some from Microsoft; others from third-party vendors that help improve our Windows experience. To wrap up the year, here's a list of utilities mentioned in the Windows Secrets newsletter. Feel free to pass the list along to friends, family, and coworkers who live in Windows.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-utili...tilities-list/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Gabriel Topala's SIW (System Information for Windows). It's a pretty complete collection of things you might want to know about your computer. It used to be free but now $9.99 to buy with 1 year's updates. Annual maintenance $4.99. GTOPALA.COM

Thanks
    Oops, you mised all the Sysinternals Suite of very usefull apps.
    The above should be a staple in anyone's toolkit.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also recommend the following:

A brilliant free MP3 tagger, MusicBrainz Picard which uses the massive MusicBrainz database to provide comprehensive information about an album / track and if needed can use acoustid to recognise tracks and discid to recognise CDs.

For writing CDs / DVDs, InfraRecorder, and for mounting ISOs DvdFab Virtual Drive.

For Browser security, AdBlock-Plus is available for Firefox, Chrome and (amazingly) Internet Explorer.

P.S. Softpedia says MobileMeter is XP only.
    Last edited by Protopia; 2013-12-19 at 16:32.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Managers?

The first thing I install after an anti-virus is always my favorite two-pane file manager, but I'm surprised that these aren't mentioned at all.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I greatly appreciate Windows Secrets for many reasons. I am confident that the philosophy upon which your publication is founded (including the Lounge) is solid and sincere. The columnists are extremely knowledgeable and thorough while not going so far off the deep end that the average middle-level computer user doesn't get lost in highly technical jargon and inflated "computerese." I always look forward to Fred's contributions as he has a marvelous and intuitive manner of explaining relevant technical and appropriate details in a way that is fitting and understandable. Staying with this thread, I want to express my appreciation for Tracey Capen's piece on "The 2013 ultimate Windows Secrets utilities list" (Issue 414, 2013-12-19). His list of utilities is the kind of material and represents a manner of presentation that I appreciate--a very helpful and practical approach to this topic. I especially recognize some of my "favorites" in his list, namely ESET Online Virus Scanner, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, TechSmith Snagit (a utility that I'm literally in love with), and Piriform CCleaner. I would only add jv16 PowerTools, now in version 2014, 3.2.0.1354, to his list. The latter providing me with very effective modules that keep my computer clean, although one must have some computer savvy to avoid extending the program's power to a point of disaster. To all of you folks at Windows Secrets, I extend my appreciation for the understanding of your readers' needs and most often "hitting the nail on the head." Best wishes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Favorite which I have been using for years is Total Commander

/* Phil */

Thanks
    If SIW's price tag puts you off, Piriform's free Speccy does the trick nearly as well. Also not listed is Belarc Adviser. Both provide very useful system information for free. Combined with Secunia, these programs help keep everything up to date an in good working order.
    -- Bob Primak --