New Lounger
    Thanks

File History - backing up the backup

File History (brilliant) backs up files from my libraries on Disks 1 and 2 to the File History folder on Disk 3. I keep a copy of the File History folder on an external disk updated once a week.

After some hairy changes, involving a disk 1 image restoration, I saw that File History was showing only recently changed files and the settings were changed from my chosen 30 minutes, 20%, Forever, to what seemed to be defaults.

I copied the saved File History folder from my external drive back to Disk 3 and reset my options but the older versions of files - I could see and open them "manually" - were still not listed.

I deduce that there are settings for File History (an index perhaps?) contained somewhere on Disk 1, with the OS, that I need to backup as well as the File History folder, so that I can if necessary bring back File History and all the saved versions, even after a restoration of the OS disk.

What files do I need to back up to enable this and in what damp, dark, creepy corner are they to be found?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to C/Users/(Your name)/appdata/local/Microsoft/windows/filehistory. I believe the config and data files are what you want.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it, now on my backup list. Many thanks and Merry Christmas.