New Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless regularly shuts down need to restart it

I have an ASUS Window 7 laptop that after about 8 months trouble free started to shut down the wireless adapter for no apparent reason. It happens at boot up when it is initially on but shuts down and after trouble shooting and restarting it it will shut down, often when opening or closing programs and other times just randomly.

Any ideas if there is some setting that got changed that would cause this or is it purely a defect/problem with the wireless card?

There are times when it is up and running fine for hours though.

Stumped. Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have the latest drivers for the wireless adapter?

Is the system up-to-date with patches?

Joe

Thanks
    I am currently having the same problem which is being fixed by my ISP due to a line fault possibly due to recent heavy rain fall.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If your drivers and system are up to date and this only occurs on wireless (i.e. - not when wired) and no other devices are affected, then go Start > type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

In Device Manager click on View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters.

Right click on the Wireless adapter and select Properties then under Power Management ensure that the box for Allow computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked.

Also if there are any numbered Microsoft ISATAP Adapters # then right click on those and select Uninstall as you only need the original.

Changing your Power Options to High Performance can also help.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-19 at 17:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe,
    I always keep W7 up to date and I just checked for updated drivers and Windows says it IS up to date.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Star Lounger,
    System and drivers up to date.
    I just checked and the Power Management button was unchecked.
    There were 4 or 5 ISATAP Adapter #s that I have Uninstalled.
    I was set to Power4Gear Entertainment which I've changed for High Performance which should be fine as I'm usually plugged in anyway not on battery very often.

I'll see what affect these changes have.
    Thanks.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John,

Windows never has up to date drivers and you should go to your computer support site to check for any updated versions after checking the version in the Wireless adapter/Properties/Driver, but reinstalling it wouldn't hurt either if current.

The manufacturer may also have an updated version, but in either case select Save on the download then uninstall the current one from Device Manager, checking the box to include software and then go to your Downloads to unpack the .zip to locate the Set up Application to double click on.

You haven't said if you get the disconnects when wired but if they continue then you could try power cycling the modem and/or router by switching off the computer and modem and/or router (if modem/router combo) and any other devices.

Disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes and then reconnect.

Switch just the modem on (if applicable) and wait until all of the lights are on and then do the same for the router and then switch just the laptop on and see how that goes.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-20 at 06:36.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

jalbertini (2013-12-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just about am never "wired". Using a Belkin wireless modem 99.9% except when traveling (rarely) and then wireless as well.

I'll check out the ASUS & Atheros? web support for an updated driver. Device Manager's web search didn't find one but I'll check anyway.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If they also occur when wired could point to an ISP problem as well as the router, which is why it's a check to determine if it's just a wireless problem.

Did you also experience disconnections on the odd occasion when you were traveling ?