3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A question regarding cloud storage

Not sure where to post this... I have some family photos on Skydrive. If I send an invitation to view these images to someone who's computer is infected with a virus will it infect others who view them subsequently? Me for instance.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For all practical purposes, no.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    Not sure where to post this... I have some family photos on Skydrive. If I send an invitation to view these images to someone who's computer is infected with a virus will it infect others who view them subsequently? Me for instance.

David
    In my opinion, if someone whose computer has a virus joins your Skydrive network, and then opens one or more of your photos while he is on the infected computer, those photos could become infected.

The infected photos would then replicate (be copied) to the Skydrive folder of each member in your Skydrive cloud network, thereby opening each of those computers up to the possibility of infection.

Whoever has good anti-virus protection would probably be safe, but this is not a guarantee. Whoever doesn't would probably get infected.

About two years ago, my wife joined a Dropbox network. I set it up on her computer. During the install process, it required that she be logged in as an administrator on the computer. (She is normally a standard user, not an administrator.) This concerned me, but I proceeded anyway. Since I installed the dropbox client while logged in as an administrator, it is very likely that the dropbox folder (and whatever is in it) would have full rights to the computer. Therefore, a virus or rogue member of her network could do lots of mischief on her computer.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-19 at 18:36.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    In my opinion, if someone whose computer has a virus joins your Skydrive network, and then opens one or more of your photos while he is on the infected computer, those photos could become infected.

The infected photos would then replicate (be copied) to the Skydrive folder of each member in your Skydrive cloud network, thereby opening each of those computers up to the possibility of infection.

Whoever has good anti-virus protection would probably be safe, but this is not a guarantee. Whoever doesn't would probably get infected.

About two years ago, my wife joined a Dropbox network. I set it up on her computer. During the install process, it required that she be logged in as an administrator on the computer. (She is normally a standard user, not an administrator.) This concerned me, but I proceeded anyway. Since I installed the dropbox client while logged in as an administrator, it is very likely that the dropbox folder (and whatever is in it) would have full rights to the computer. Therefore, a virus or rogue member of her network could do lots of mischief on her computer.
    Jim,

Could you please explain how an image gets infected?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post

David
    The key word here is "view"

The default option in Skydrive when sending a link to somebody is "Recipients can only view"

If they can only view the image they can't change it in any way therefore no possibility of a virus spreading.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point Browni, thanks.
    Now, here is another question : I am in the habit, from years ago, to do clones of my many machines and of machines of friends that I "IT" for. Here is the question : is it possible to do "clones" on a cloud, which one, or are we limited to only upload single files ? Sure one could UL all singles files but that would really be time taking, either ways. At the moment, I do not use the cloud at all but I do not want to be left behind.

Have a great day, as of 0630 hour tomorrow EST, they are getting longer. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Jim,

Could you please explain how an image gets infected?
    I can't explain the particulars, but I know that anything other than plain text can contain malicious code. (Plain text can as well, but it would be hard for the malicious code to hide in a text file, because it would be readily apparent that it was there.)

In order for the malicious code to be executed, there would probably have to be an executable file working in conjunction with the infected image file.

So, in answer to your (and the OP's) question: It is possible for it to happen. But it's probably not likely.

I probably should have included the comment "It's not likely but possible."

Administrator
    Thanks
    I can't explain the particulars, but I know that anything other than plain text can contain malicious code. (Plain text can as well, but it would be hard for the malicious code to hide in a text file, because it would be readily apparent that it was there.)

In order for the malicious code to be executed, there would probably have to be an executable file working in conjunction with the infected image file.

So, in answer to your (and the OP's) question: It is possible for it to happen. But it's probably not likely.

I probably should have included the comment "It's not likely but possible."
    The images on their own, as you have stated, will bring no risk. Sometimes, it's possible to craft images to explore specific vulnerabilities, but as you correctly put it, there needs to be specific executable code to take advantage of any exploits. I have never heard of a situation where existing images were changed by infecting code to be turned into images that can exploit vulnerabilities in image display (which do not happen very often and should not put patched systems at risk).
    So, as you correctly put it, it's very unlikely that could happen in the situation described here and, as Browni correctly put it, with read-only images, it's impossible.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The images on their own, as you have stated, will bring no risk. Sometimes, it's possible to craft images to explore specific vulnerabilities, but as you correctly put it, there needs to be specific executable code to take advantage of any exploits. I have never heard of a situation where existing images were changed by infecting code to be turned into images that can exploit vulnerabilities in image display (which do not happen very often and should not put patched systems at risk).
    So, as you correctly put it, it's very unlikely that could happen in the situation described here and, as Browni correctly put it, with read-only images, it's impossible.
    Thanks for getting me to think through it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting me to think through it.
    Thank you too, Jim, your post brought relevant info to the discussion .
    Rui
    -------
    R4