Thanks

Keeping XP off the Internet

The recent Windows Secrets Newsletter described a method of blocking Internet access, while still allowing local networking.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...upport/#story2

I've tried this, but it didn't seem to work; I could still access the Internet. I restarted the machine, but haven't tried anything more advanced yet. Any ideas? I have alternate strategies, but this method seemed like a good one.

Background:

I recently re-installed my HP ProBook laptop after the hard disk started down the slippery slope. I have partitions for Windows 7 Professional, Ubuntu, and also one for XP Pro which I intended to keep "clean" for use by any applications that weren't happy on W7. Previously I'd been using XP full time, with occasional forays into Ubuntu; but my new PC at work came with Windows 7 and I liked it, so I thought it was about time I switched over at home, what with XP support ending and all.

In other words, there's only the bare minimum installed on the XP partition. I use portable applications whenever possible.

I had intended to disable the wi-fi via Device Manager, which would have kept it off the Internet, but left me the option of plugging in an Ethernet cable if I wanted to talk to other machines on the LAN. However the "non-existent proxy" approach sounded like a good one - less inconvenient, and therefore less liable to be bypassed some time when I'm in a hurry.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you disable automatic configuration, just above the proxy server settings?

LAN settiungs.png

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-12-20 at 10:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

English Bob (2013-12-20)

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. I'm fairly sure I didn't check those boxes, and they weren't checked when I went back into XP just now; but this time, it worked. I had no Internet access.

I admit I wasn't aware exactly how automatic configuration works, having not used it myself, so I'll be sure to pay more attention if the set-up magically reverses itself some time.