Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

SkyDrive and changes in PDFs

I don't think that this has been the way it always has, but!

This morning I uploaded several important pdf files to my SkyDrive. When I went to open them in SkyDrive even though they had the pdf icon they opened in Word Web. Now, as I said that may be the way it has always been, and that is fine and somewhat understandable. But! and this is huge, when I let SkyDrive open them in Word Web, some of the information was missing. Yep Missing! When I downloaded the document from SkyDrive to pdf to read or print it, the information was there. Ok now it gets really weird! I next went to my Windows 8 Phone, and got the same results, by this I mean I opened both the SkyDrive app and took a look at the document, and then I opened the Office app and the results were the same. again, missing data. Next I went to my Surface RT tablet, and received the same results. WTH?
    What if I had a plane ticket or something else in there and that happened?
    The original ownership of the documents doesn't seem to be an issue, because the documents that brought this to my attention were not generated by and those that I have printed to pdf act the same.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe that is because Word can open a PDF document. Unfortunately, Word does not handle all PDFs well.

See PDFs open in Word Web App for the Microsoft drivel.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe,
    I read through all of the articles including the ones that were linked to that one, but I still don't know how to get my pdf's to show up on my phone without them being PDF Redrawed.... Holy Crap. My insurance cards on my phone, in SkyDrive, and on my tablet are worthless, as are a number of other pdf's that have tables in them. I've got papers and diagrams and tables that are shared with others as well. Once again, Microsoft didn't think it through.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    When you open a document in the Word Web app you have at the very bottom right, a Give Feedback option. I suggest you provide feedback through there - I have and I agree the quality of the PDF documents in the web app is nothing but horrible.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    thanks Rui I got pretty livid over this. this maybe the end for me and SkyDrive and may just spell the end for me and Microsoft as well
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    thanks Ruin I got pretty livid over this. this maybe the end for me and SkyDrive and may just spell the end for me and Microsoft as well
    I don't see how this affects the phone, John. My phones, both WP7 and WP8, open the files in Adobe Reader and they are perfectly viewable (yes, with tables - one of them is a train timetable, which displays perfectly well). I suggest you get Adobe Reader on your phone.

All SkyDrive documents can be downloaded and viewed locally, so all of this just a little bit more annoying, but surely easy to overcome.

Anyway, are you sure this is as bad as you think it is? Here are two examples of PDFs containing tables:

CapturePDF1.JPG
    CapturePDF2.JPG

Tables are shown correctly. You will see, though, that the fonts in the 2nd document are not so good, which means that they are hard to read, so I just download it when I want it. Both display very well on my phones, though.

I think the issues may vary with the documents. PDF is a pretty complex format and some quirks occur with some viewers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'm afraid that it might just be that bad. I haven't gone in and checked every pdf in SkyDrive yet, but.
    the documents that brought this to my attention are my vehicle insurance papers. All of the vehicle information is gone, and these are the in vehicle papers, also some pdf flight documents are missing pertinent information. I've never had this happen. I can reprint the vehicle info from another source, and reprint the flight info, but geeeeez.
    I realize that nothing is perfect, but still.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I'm afraid that it might just be that bad. I haven't gone in and checked every pdf in SkyDrive yet, but.
    the documents that brought this to my attention are my vehicle insurance papers. All of the vehicle information is gone, and these are the in vehicle papers, also some pdf flight documents are missing pertinent information. I've never had this happen. I can reprint the vehicle info from another source, and reprint the flight info, but geeeeez.
    I realize that nothing is perfect, but still.
    Are you implying the documents were changed when you uploaded them to SkyDrive? If you think they did, I suggest that you download them to confirm they didn't. Maybe even upload them again, from fresh copies?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't see how this affects the phone, John. My phones, both WP7 and WP8, open the files in Adobe Reader and they are perfectly viewable (yes, with tables - one of them is a train timetable, which displays perfectly well). I suggest you get Adobe Reader on your phone.

All SkyDrive documents can be downloaded and viewed locally, so all of this just a little bit more annoying, but surely easy to overcome.

Anyway, are you sure this is as bad as you think it is? Here are two examples of PDFs containing tables:

CapturePDF1.JPG
    CapturePDF2.JPG

Tables are shown correctly. You will see, though, that the fonts in the 2nd document are not so good, which means that they are hard to read, so I just download it when I want it. Both display very well on my phones, though.

I think the issues may vary with the documents. PDF is a pretty complex format and some quirks occur with some viewers.
    It affects my phone and tablet, because the documents that are in SkyDrive, are the ones showing on my phone. There fore what ever changes happen in SkyDrive show up on the document on my phone.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    So what you are saying is that your documents were changed? I have never had SkyDrive change one of my documents - PDFs may show not in the best way, but the documents are unchanged. I also never read about anyone complaining that their documents are changed.

So I ask again, have you downloaded the documents and made sure they are actually changed?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes, I did that and yes they were changed. On the document that I downloaded from the insurance company there are 2 lines that contain the vehicle description, VIN #, and registered owner. These lines are the ones that were missing from the document after I opened in SkyDrive. Just to double check what I was seeing I downloaded a fresh copy and saved it under a different name to my desktop, I then opened the document in SkyDrive (Word Web) and noticed that the lines were missing from both insurance cards. I then closed the Word Web and reopened the document, but chose pdf instead. It downloaded the pdf, and the document now looked like the Word Web version in that the same two lines were missing. I did a side by side comparison , and nope, my eyes were not deceiving me.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    And you are sure the originals were uploaded without these issues?

I have read how in some situations, SkyDrive files reverted to older versions, but I had never read that the files were uploaded and changed by SkyDrive. Although I mostly use it with Office files, it has never happened to me, even when working cooperatively with other people. A quick search provides no similar cases, either, so something very weird must have happened here. As far as I know, you can't even save pdf files, from the web app...

Please understand that I am not saying it didn't happen, John. I just find it very odd - no reports of similar cases, no native ability to edit the files on SkyDrive, a corruption issue on the file while uploading would be too "selective", result wise, to seem likely... Could these have been changed by someone you might have shared them with?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hey No problem Rui,
    When I received your latest post, it got me to thinking. All documents that I have in my primary SkyDrive, which is where this occurred, are also backed up in my Secondary SkyDrive Account, as well as my external HD. True to form I copied the redrawn document to my other SkyDrive as well as the original. In the attached jpeg, I have removed as much of the identifiable information as I could. The section that was redrawn to show nothing, lies directly under where it says Vehicle Description and Registered Driver. There should be two vehicles and 2 drivers. That is the information that is missing. The second page which I
    did not take a screen shot of is identical. Weird huh?

Re Drawn Insurance Card.png
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Definitely weird and I can understand how it would affect your trust on the system. Have you contacted their support to see if they have anything to say about it?

Do you keep other copies of this stuff elsewhere (which I think you should, not because of this, just because it's good to have multiple, independent copies of your important stuff)?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    See http://www.intowindows.com/view-pdf-...sing-skydrive/ I don't know whether that works. However, there are multiple complaints by people listed in Google about trying to use PDFs in SkyDrive. I only use SkyDrive for large Email attachments, and I would recommend downloading them when they are received rather than trying to view them in a browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast