New Lounger
    Thanks

Question External Hard Drives

How do I know how big of an external hard drive I need to buy to utilize win8.1 file history?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I find the 2TB drives to be highly reliable storage drives, even the 1 TB drives are very good for this as well.

As to the question of how much space you'll need, well, it will depend upon how extensively you use it.
    That is something you're just going to have to figure out in the natural course of usage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Why not just get the largest one you can afford then you should be future proof unless your requirements are huge. Especially if you are going to use it for image backups.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.