2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's the cheapest Android device useful for experimentation?

What's the cheapest Android device useful for experimentation?

I'd like to try writing apps for Android devices. I'm aware that I can download an emulator for my PC that will allow me to both write and test an app. But then I need an Android device to actually run it on, and I don't have one. So what's the cheapest Android device that I can get that will allow me to load a custom written app on it, just for experimentation, but doesn't cost a lot in case I "brick" it (render it unusable) ? About the only requirement is that the device be able to access Wifi and have a touch screen. Also, is this the best forum to ask questions about this sort of topic? If not, does anybody have recommendations for another forum? Thanks !!!

Thanks
    I don't have any specific models to recommend, since the only one I own is the Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, which you're unlikely to get for under $200. I recall hearing an add on TV for Android tablets from $49, but I didn't pay any attention to who the advertiser was. Amazon and Ebay have Android tablets in the $60 range, but I know nothing about them. As for other forums, Android Central runs a bunch of forums. I read only the one devoted to the Nexus 7 (2013), but there are many others, and lots of users to ask. Take a look at Android Central's forums at http://forums.androidcentral.com/

One more thing: be sure the device you get has or will accept the most recent Android operating system, currently KitKat 4.4.2. (Some of the older devices can't be upgraded to the newer OS's.)

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by cyberdiva; 2013-12-25 at 08:22.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response, Cyberdiva. I have also discovered a number of forums related to Android, so I will ask there. thanks also for the hint about upgradeability!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fry's has a couple off-brand Android tablets advertised for under $50. The site says they are available in-store only. Both are 4K memory only, which seems pretty low to me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try tigerdirect.com. They have several off-brand tablets for less than $100.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying a Kyocera Hydro on ebay for $26. It works like a charm, has Android 4.0.4, along with Bluetooth, Wifi, touchscreen, and auxiliary storage. So I am happily figuring out how it works, and plan to try writing a simple app in the near future. Thanks again !!