5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer Dragon Premium from XP to Win 8.1

My friend has an XP computer and will be buying a new computer this year
    --- On his XP computer he has Dragon Premium on it for his daughter
    --- Is there a way to transfer it onto his new computer?
    --- I am recommending Windows 8.1
    --- He still has the discs but I think it's licensed for only one computer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Hard to say, without having done it before and can't also state that it is not a license violation.
    I would start by knowing whether the version she owns can run in 8.1 - don't take it for granted. I don't know of free way to move a program without installing it. PC mover,from Laplink, has proven itself as a reliable way to transfer programs between different OS versions, but it also fails in some cases. It has a major caveat -it's a paid app and it's not that cheap.
    I would then check how your friend stands regarding licensing. Once that is cleared, it may even be possible to use the installation media on the new computer. Probably Dragon's support can help if you also need config files from the existing installation - I once used a Phillips similar program and it had a set of training files that it needed to improve recognition, not sure if Dragon needs something like that too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-12-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just talked to my friend over the phone and he wants to contact Nuances customer support to determine what he can do
    He has Dragon Premium 11.5 and from what I can tell it isn't designed to work on Win 8.1; he'd have to buy version 12.5 if he wants to stay with the Premium version.
    --- I did mention to him to find out if he can pay an upgrade price vs full price

Thanks
    Yes: Only V12.5 of Dragon works with Win8/Win8.1. To move Dragon to a new PC, one must UN-INSTALL it from the original PC (this de-registers the product); then re-install and re-register it. But this will, of course only work if the operating system on the new PC is compatible with that particular version of Dragon. (By the way, this applies to all Nuance software).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.