New Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer versus Explorer Lite in Windows 8.1

just discovered that the explorer that windows 8 defaults to is a "lite" version, hated how I lost so much functionality and then while visiting another forum discovered that you can activate the full version of explorer from your programs list and get back the full functionality of sites like outlook.com, facebook etc. That means cutting and pasting work again wooo hooo .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I am not sure I understand you. Which version is the "lite" and which version is the "full"?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Desktop IE vs Modern I/F IE?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The default explorer, facebook and outlook.com are all lite versions, if you go to programs in the file directory and pull up explorer, that one is the full verison and restores the functionality of facebook and outlook enabling all controls and features to work including cutting and pasting, favorites import, better cloud access etc. What you do is save the explorer from programs as a tile and log into facebook or outlook for example and you get full functionality which is lacking in the default dumbed up versions which load faster but with lost features.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, i still can't understand what you mean. Can you post the path to the said full explorer and explain which explorer you were using before?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the desktop open/select this PC, the open the drive with your operating system, probably OS(C then open program files and you will see internet explorer, right click on it and it will have a number of options, select pin to start menu and voila, you will have the fully function explorer on your start menu. The if you want more functionality from for outlook.com or facebook for example pull them up through that explorer versus the tiles on the start menu which all go through the the quicker loading but limited version of explorer. You for example cannot cut and paste an image from an outlook email from the outlook tile but if you go to outlook via the explorer you just added to your start screen you can. Was just thinking,I am using a new dell xps 8700, it might be possible that this is something unique to dell but I doubt it. I am using Windows 8.1 which I upgraded form Windows 8 which was on my machine when I got it a couple of weeks ago. At first I hated it and missed my xp but now it is getting better all the time. Would be nice if Microsoft would include manuals like they did in the old days. I started on a commodore 128 back when you had to program your system even to use a dot matrix printer and everything was done on a floppy with command promps. Hmmm, maybe I should document what I am learning about using windows 8.1 and put out a book ha ha.
    Last edited by deantre; 2013-12-22 at 21:10. Reason: needed to answer all questions

Administrator
    Thanks
    I guess you mean there are two Internet Explorer versions? Yes, there are - one used from the new Windows 8 interface and another the (good... well not so good) old Internet Explorer you have known all along - the desktop version. They have been both available right from 8.0 and you are right - the Windows 8 native version, usually called the IE Metro version, is less featured than the desktop version.

I am sorry that you have been using a less featured version all this time. Shows Microsoft could have done a better job providing information on using Windows 8.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are already numerous books out there that document how to use Windows 8/8.1, and the 2 I have discuss this issue at length. You didn't discover anything new, just what a little research could have uncovered. In Win8, Internet Explorer is part of the OS as usual but there is also an app for IE that simplifies the UI so that you only see the web page and not all the toolbars and other fluff usually found in a browser. Both are available and you can switch from the Metro or Tiled mode right from within the UI once you learn how apps work in Win8 and can access the app toolbars.