2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paint dot net - still useful?

Has paint dot net been so thoroughly hacked it is no longer useful?

I have used it in the past but not for more than 6 months. My current install crashed on start and was old, anyway, so I tried to get the latest build. I tried four places but all were rejected by Vipre as adware installers. I got a very nasty installer when I tried to download it a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have an address for a clean download and install? Or, should I write it off?

The internet of things has become the internet of fraud.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Dan.

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html the original website is almost always the best source, there are strong indications that this download is squeaky clean: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a...is/1387746902/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The top button on the page is a download of something other than what I wanted. The real download button was some distance down the page and the file I downloaded failed like the one I had. Something doesn't want me to run this program.

Thanks for your help.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I downloaded it from here: http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html (after going through the address satrow posted).

EAM didn't complain about anything. Not a surprise, really as I use paint.net without any issues and downloaded it from here, as well. If Vipre finds an issue with this download, I would think it's a Vipre false positive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's something going on with my machine that will take some effort to troubleshoot. My initial concern was the gathering of flies (adware installers) around piant dot net, especially after my experience in the past of picking the wrong downloader and spending the effort to remove it.

Thanks all for your aid in this matter. End of thread.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub