New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Wake on Lan question

Hi,

Hope somebody can help me out, im trying to wake up my pc over the internet and unfortunatly it doesn´t work, i will explain what i did so far.
    First of all i created a dynamic DNS at dyndns.org because i don´t have a static ip, after this i logged into my router and assigned this dynamic DNS to forward traffic, i opened port 9 and forwarded it to the ip of the pc i want to wake up. I also forwarded it to the broadcast ip 192.168.1.255, on the pc i enabled wake on lan and wake on magic paket on my ethernet card also i enabled wake on magic paket in the properties of the advanced tab of my ethernet card. Then i went to energy options and disabled fast startup option in windows 8. Ok so far so good, i picked up wireshark to see if the magic pakets are comming in and i can see the magic pakets comming in without problems. But when i try to wake up my PC it doesn´t work and i don´t know why, it works when i try it over LAN but not from outside, before i forgot i also enabled the wake on lan option in my BIOS. Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This isn't something that I've needed or wanted but from a Google, someone found http://www.wakeonlan.me/ to work for them and in the Properties/Advanced of your Ethernet adapter, is Shutdown Wake Up Enabled as on some that is default Disabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    This isn't something that I've needed or wanted but from a Google, someone found http://www.wakeonlan.me/ to work for them and in the Properties/Advanced of your Ethernet adapter, is Shutdown Wake Up Enabled as on some that is default Disabled.
    Hi Sudo, thanks for comming back to me, i allready checked the site wakeonlan.me and its the same thing, the paket comes thru but it doesn´t wake up the pc. I also checked my card properties and i have the following settings enabled; Shutdown Wake-On-Lan; Wake On Magic Packet; Wake on pattern match and in the power management tab all the 3 options are checked which are : allow the computer to turn of this device to save power, allow this device to bring the comupter out of standby,only allow management stations to bringthe computer out of standby.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not having done any of this and a further Google, is Port 9 what Wireshark shows as the port that your router uses.

wakeonlan.me uses Port 9 but it could be different for your router http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...on-wan?start=3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Not having done any of this and a further Google, is Port 9 what Wireshark shows as the port that your router uses.

wakeonlan.me uses Port 9 but it could be different for your router http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...on-wan?start=3
    i read a lot before posting here and checked diffrent ports i know it doesnt need to be port 7 or 9 for wol, it can be any udp port , all the ports i tested are comming thru and i can verify it with wireshark, so connection from outside is fine the magic paket reaches my router, i think maybee the problem is that it doen´t reach the pc that needs to be waked up.

Thanks
    See if this one works.
    I've only ever used their local command-line utility, WOLcmd, though (but I've used it for years...)
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    See if this one works.
    I've only ever used their local command-line utility, WOLcmd, though (but I've used it for years...)
    I just noticed that wireshark says port 9 discard?? maybee this is the problem, when i try it on port 3232 it syas mtp 3232.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by isostar View Post
    I just noticed that wireshark says port 9 discard?? maybee this is the problem, when i try it on port 3232 it syas mtp 3232.
    Ok guys, i verified now that it works fine over port 3232 from outsid, very starnge i don´t know why it discards port 9, thanks for your help m8´s.

Thanks
    Have a read through this account of the Discard protocol.

Any port should work for WOL, since the only thing the NIC is looking for is the so-called Magic Packet.
    I presume that your router is discarding the packet sent on port 9 before it actually gets to the NIC.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Have a read through this account of the Discard protocol.

Any port should work for WOL, since the only thing the NIC is looking for is the so-called Magic Packet.
    I presume that your router is discarding the packet sent on port 9 before it actually gets to the NIC.
    Yes i think so, do you know where i can disable this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a guess but it could be the router's firewall or your ISP as they sometimes block ports.

See if Netalyzr has anything on it - requires Java to run.