Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1/sfc scannow/Secunia PSI

My issue is a grayed out Secunia PSI system tray icon. It has been a problem since my 8.1 upgrade. First PSI was an issue so I reverted to 2.0 and it ran okay. Then Secunia came out with a Win 8/8.1 compatible version. So, I did a Revo uninstall and installed the latest version and still the system tray icon is gray.

I posted to the Secunia group and some kind soul suggested I run an sfc /scannow, which I did. Sure enough there was file corruption, but of course one has to do some secret things to find out what the problem/file corruption is.

From the command prompt(as admin), I typed "notepad c:\Windows\logs\CBS\cbs.logs" without the quotes. Windows told me there wasn't one to look at and did I want to create a new one. Well, I didn't know the answer to that one, so I'm asking here. My guess is yes, but I wanted some help before I hit the yes button.

I have another question. If the file was corrupted, how come it's not there to look at. Did sfc /scannow attempt to repair it and couldn't so it removed it? If I don't know what file got corrupted how am I to figure out how to avoid this happening in the future. Thanks very much.

Happy Holidays to all.

Diane

As a followup to this post, I re-typed the command properly without the "s" at the end and I did retrieve the log in Notepad with hundreds of lines of code, but I don't know what to look for to correct whatever error exists on my system. I hope this post makes sense to someone. ;-)
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2013-12-23 at 08:28. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Hi, Diane.

Reboot and run SFC /scannow again - then repeat once more (that will make 3x sfc runs with a reboot between each run), zip and attach the cbs log here, someone (I hope) will be able to pinpoint any remaining issues.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done the 3 scans and am attaching the results of the sfc /scannow in zipped format.

I don't really have any issues running this laptop, except for the grayed out Secunia PSI icon. I would appreciate any insight into this problem and hope this log will point to the problem that's hopefully easily fixable.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why don't you post inSecunia PSI Forum? They might have the answer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oklajohn View Post
    Why don't you post inSecunia PSI Forum? They might have the answer.
    I came here because I didn't think Secunia PSI would solve an issue with corrupt Windows files. I already was there, BTW. Please see my initial post. Someone in the Secunia forum already asked this question and was referred to the newest version of PSI that I'm already running. His issue was the same as mine and recommended the sfc /scannow which brought the corrupt system file(s) to my attention.

I would hope a moderator would advise me if I was mistaken and would recommend I move along elsewhere

Diane

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, didn't read your post closely enough.....hope you can work it out. BTW there is a post in Secunia about a "persistent grey icon" - seems related to anti-virus maybe?
    Last edited by oklajohn; 2013-12-23 at 11:01.

Thanks
    It looks as if you will need to carefully follow the procedure here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...s-8-8-1-a.html

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It looks as if you will need to carefully follow the procedure here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...s-8-8-1-a.html
    Thank you for the link.

I don't dare try this fix now. It would be my luck to mess this up. I am travelling with only limited resources with me because of space. I have a system repair disk and a system image that might not be enough if I trashed the laptop. I'll live with the gray icon and the corrupted system file for now.

Diane

Thanks
    Understood, Diane.

Good luck (and if you still need help with that when you get settled, the folks at Sysnative are very good)

EDIT: having just read that topic, it looks like Repair Method 1 might be all that's needed, about 40 minutes - and, to this amateur, looks pretty safe to try.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-12-23 at 11:58.

Thanks
    (In case you miss an Edit)

There's also a slightly faster method (now that I've compared your data with that in the Sysnative topic), using this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn4umr9mn2v3xdy/SFCFix.zip and following the topic from:

"Once you have sourced the files you need, then perform the following steps:

SFCFix Script"

onwards, probably ~25 minutes.