Lounger
    Thanks

Change from Office 2013 Pro Plus to Office 356 Home Premium

My efforts at searching for any comments about my query have been fruitless. Please accept my apologies if I have missed any relevant posts.
    I am currently using an evaluation copy of Office 2013 Pro Plus on my self-built desktop computer. I have purchased a subscription to Office 356 Home Premium (which I installed on a new Surface Pro 2 that I purchased a month ago.) Unfortunately the December Firmware Update for the Surface bricked my unit - I am waiting for a promised replacement, but that's an aside to my query. (I have de-activated the installation, and the web-page now shows I have 5 of 5 installations available.)
    What I am looking for is guidance on the best way to install Office 365 on my desktop. Should I uninstall the evaluation copy of Office 2013 first? Or will installing Office 365 convert the Office 2013 installations?
    I should comment that I save my data, including the Outlook files, to a different HDD - they are not on the system drive.
    No commercial use will be involved - I am a retiree, and playing/working with my computers is my hobby.
    Thanks in advance for any comments.
    lmodra

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Hi,

I think your option is just about what model of updates you want. If you are ok with having the Office installation updated through Windows Update, I believe you can simply activate your existing Office installation with your Office 365 account information - I haven't ever done this, but I think it is possible to do so, if I remember well how I activated my desktop's Office installation. Otherwise I would recommend uninstalling the current office version and install again, now from the web.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just to be safe I recommend you uninstall your current version and use the click-to-run install from Office 365.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your answer, Rui.
    I'm inclined to uninstall what I have, and then re-install. My Office 2013 installation is a Technet evaluation, and has been updating OK through Windows Update. So no urgency to change at the moment.

And now Joe's reply arrived while I was typing! Thanks, Joe. Glad to have confirmation that my plan to uninstall and reinstall is the safest.
    Last edited by lmodra; 2013-12-28 at 23:15. Reason: additional comment