Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect: a short sad story

But with a happy ending.

I had made a couple of changes this week to my PC (Win 8.1 Pro). I decided to roll back to my latest image created by MR - last Sunday's. Having remembered how to get to the images using WinPE, I restored that day's image. So far so good.

But it failed at 3% saying the image was corrupt. I then rebooted into Windows and lo and behold, it couldn't. It did a diagnostic and repair. Only it wasn't successful. No matter I thought, I'll restore from an image from the previous week. That got to 5%, but now when booting into windows I got a screen telling me (in the end) to contact my system admin (me!) or the PC manufacturer. Nothing worked other than just shutting the PC down. I then tried Linux (Ubuntu on a memory stick I have - it couldn't even see the c drive - saying there was a problem.

So it looked like the image restore failing had screwed the disk and it was hosed (a quaint Americanism?). I tried a couple of more images and finally the one from the 27th October worked. Phew! It took just over an hour, and another hour updating Windows and other programs (good thing I keep stuff in the downloads folder).

Lessons to learn. Verify the image after you create it. And before you use it to restore.

I would say that my decision a few months ago to separate OS and data also helped greatly as the time to restore was so much less than it might have been. And also I didn't have to download anything I had added since the 27th Oct.

So, has anyone any ideas what caused the corruption? I think it was error 5 that was quoted.

Thanks
    Access,

Where where the images stored? Were they all on the same device? Did you set the Verify Image switch when making the images? Did you try to mount the images after creation?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG, should have said that! They are stored on a network attached Seagate 2TB disk. I have mounted some (but not all). A verify image switch - I'll have to look for that. I can see where it is in the XML file but I'm not sure how it's set in the application. I'll try setting it in the XML and see what happens when I next do a backup. I've just mounted one of the failed images and it works fine (but then I don't know where the corruption is). It did fail the verify test when I was trying to get things working again.

Just tried it - it's a pro function, I only have free being cheapskate. So it's manual verify for me.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2013-12-05 at 12:43. Reason: more ino

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    An image verification is important. Not totally sure why they get corrupted, though, but you made a good justification for keeping multiple images - well done for that .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Access,

You can verify in the Free Version. When you get to the final screen with the Finish button if you look at the bottom right of the window you'll see Advanced Options link. Click it and one of the options will be Auto Verify Image. Click on it then check the box.
    MRAdvanced.JPG
    HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks, just done an image (just in case) and it's verifying right now. I think my point in all this was that verifying (whether auto or manual) is essential. I hadn't given it a thought and I wonder if others had also not given it a thought.

Ted has "Backup, backup, backup" in his sig ? Perhaps it should be "BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP, then VERIFY...VERIFY...VERIFY...VERIFY"

Thanks
    Access,

You may want to look at post #7 in this thread. I think I got it confused with your thread when I answered.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Yes I did see it thanks. I know there's a file entry I can't delete on that disk (I think the index entry is there but not the file, so I can't delete whatever I try). So it might be my less than 2 year old Seagate is crock (or about to go crock). Oh well, I'll just keep verifying after I do the images.

Thanks
    Check your HDDs too (both SMART & checkdisk). Quite often restore failures result from issues on the storage drive as well as the primary drive.
    Crystal Disk Info
    Hard Disk Sentinel
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, in fact I'm a bit surprised any image worked because I was thinking drive (or connection) going South on one end or the other.

Thanks
    CLiNT, I've got Hard Disk Sentinel and it says my main drive is excellent. I can't see how to check the NAS disk though, either using HDS or chkdsk (can't check a network drive, even with a drive letter).

Hmm F.U.N., on this side of the pond we would say go west.

Thanks
    Access,

My WD MyBookLive NAS has a builtin diagnostics feature.
    MyBookLiveDiag.JPG
    Of course it only gives you a Pass/Fail but it is something.
    HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Hmm F.U.N., on this side of the pond we would say go west.
    Seriously? That's interesting, I've never heard that expression before. It means manifest destiny here...or it did a long time ago now eh.

Ya, NAS devices don't give much warning in my experience. Goes something like this; no problems for many hundreds of days, then email from NAS; SMART failure. Then I wake up and hear a screeching drive 30 ft. away and then read the email!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks, just done an image (just in case) and it's verifying right now. I think my point in all this was that verifying (whether auto or manual) is essential. I hadn't given it a thought and I wonder if others had also not given it a thought.

Ted has "Backup, backup, backup" in his sig ? Perhaps it should be "BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP, then VERIFY...VERIFY...VERIFY...VERIFY"
    I have mentioned often that as soon as I create an Image, I turn around and restore that Image. Since I always have several monthly Images saved, if one image tanks, I can restore to the previous months image. This is scary the first time, but after that no sweat. Restoring the Image proves the Image and the boot disk are correct and working.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted and I share more than just old age......we both believe in frequent Backups, followed by a Verify and then a Restore.
    I do my backups "Weekly", not 'weakly'. (my little joke)

The Restore is important, especially for me, because it re-writes my HD in a completely Defragmented manner.
    So I just do my weekly Backup, Verify and Restore and never have to do a Defrag.
    Keeping my hard drive defragmented, is just one reason why my PC runs so good. (it's now 8 years old and still runs better than
    many brand new PC's.)

Trying NOT to insult anyone, I've said this before...."If your backup and restore program is not working for you, then
    most likely you need to use a different program".
    No problem with that here, because I've been using essentially the same program for the past decade+.
    (wish just a few updates)

I use Ghost 11.5, which only runs in DOS, from a DOS boot disk. That boot disk can be a CD, a Flash Drive or even
    an SD Flash Memory card. I have an older version of Ghost on a Floppy Disk.
    But the main thing is, that I use a program that I'm familiar with and that I know works good.
    It also works for all OS's from XP to Windows 8.1, without fail.

Anyway, Backup! Backup! Backup!, , , then Verify and restore!

Cheers mates and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast