3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seagate SSD is not being allocated

I have a Seagate 600 SSD and the device is not showing up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management but it does show up in my Device Manager.

I'm using a brand new SATA III 6.0 Gb cable and the SATA mode is set to the recommended AHCI. There are no BIOS errors. I'm running Win 7.

In Disk Management, there is no drive letter for the SSD but down below it shows a disk with the proper GB size that is unallocated which may be my problem. Is there a way to get that drive allocated or find out why it isn't?

I should have added that it is brand new and has never been used on this PC.
    Last edited by Omega3; 2013-12-27 at 13:39. Reason: Additional info
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In Disk Management can you right click on the unallocated part and get an option to format or create new basic partition (and format)? If you do then it'll also suggest a drive letter during the process.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-12-27 at 14:49.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silver, your solution worked perfectly. I didn't realize the disk was not pre-formatted already. Once formatted, it was allocated. I really appreciate your help!!!
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks
    Yes sir, drive makers don't know what file system one is to be using...
    So any new drive you buy needs to be formatted to the file system of the operating system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.