Thread: using TestDisk

Thanks

using TestDisk

hi

i want to use TestDisk to make a data [only] hd accessible again, it simply stopped being accessible and showed "corrupt" "data unreadable"
    error msg. its currently connected temporarily to another pc, on the optical drive sata port

ive read the TestDisk instructions and got as far as this but dont know which option to use:

Repair An NTFS Boot Sector
    Recovering An NTFS Boot Sector On An NTFS Partition Using Its Backup
    Rebuilding An NTFS Boot Sector On An NTFS Partition
    Repair An NTFS MFT

thanks if anyone can assist

Thanks
    It sounds from what you describe that you have actual data errors on the disk, and that TestDisk isn't the product you want to fix them. The standard method is to use, in a Command Prompt window,
    CHKDSK x: /V /R
    (replace x by your drive letter) which can take an extraordinarily long time depending on the capacity of the disk and how many errors are encountered. Don't hold out your hopes, though - bad disks usually stay bad, and get worse, and you should aim to copy as much data off the disk as soon as you can.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2013-12-27 at 04:22.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    if got this advice in a forum when asking about this same problem "CHKDSK relies on the tables and if those are wrong it could really screw things up." problem was that the guy although knowledgeable wouldn't read my posts which led to great confusion

also, often the disk cant be seen by windows , sometimes its fixed by powering off the usb enclosure that its in. before in became not accessible i was getting lots of "windows delayed write failed, unable to save all the data for the file f" errors

the exact error i was getting "E is not accessible the file and directory is corrupted and unreadable"

windows also tells me to insert a disc , presumable still thinking its an optical drive

using win 7 home [for first time]
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-12-27 at 09:36.

Thanks
    update: im trying to run chkdsk but can get to command prompt . and cant boot from cd as the problem disk is on the sata port
    thanks

Thanks
    If Windows can't actually access the drive you are trying to CHKDSK, then you would have to boot some form of Linux system to attempt to get at the hard disk. Look for appropriate features on Knoppix or Ultimate Boot CD.

You may perhaps be left with simply trying to reformat the hard disk, and thus lose all your data. Whether that will then make it reliably readable or not, there is no way of telling.

The best rule of thumb is that if a hard disk comes up with errors, your best bet is to get a new hard disk, to which you restore the other backup copy which you made earlier to an alternative media type.
    BATcher

Thanks
    tried linux and another data recovery program , they both say its corrupted. its a newish disk and i cant afford to lose the data..

maybe u could give me a hand getting CHKDSK to run. it definitely wont run from inside windows
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-12-27 at 12:36.

Thanks
    Since CHKDSK is a Windows .EXE file, it has to run within Windows, I'm afraid, and for that your disk must be accessible.

I can't think of any other way out but to hand your disk over to a data recovery firm, who will probably charge you £severalHundred to get as much data off the disk as they can. Only you can decide whether your data is worth that much...
    BATcher

Thanks
    .i just took it to a tech guy to recover the data

thanks again