5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

getting valid copies of 4 dll's

I have had a nagging error in my W7 home premium SP1 system. When I run SFC /scannow it finds 4 DLLs that it says it can't repair:
    fde.dll
    fdeploy.dll
    gptetxt.dll
    gpedit.dll

Is there a way to extract them from somewhere within the bowels of Windows, or get valid copies from somewhere?

BTW, my valid W7 installation disk is for W7; and I later updated my system to SP1.

Thanks for your help,
    Dick

PS,
    When I go back to the earliest system image I have, these DLLs are corrupt there too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Dick,

At least one of those files is for the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.dll). Group Policy Editor was not part of Win 7 HP you had to have Pro or higher. This may be why it isn't fixing them. However, I'm just guessing not positive. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-12-27)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You will need a Win 7 SP1 ISO for your version which you can download from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ and then use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable disk to follow the steps in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ation-dvd.html to extract the files.

You could also change the boot order in your computer to boot from the SP1 bootable disk, pressing any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted and when you get the Windows splash screen, select the Repair option which will take you to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt.

At the CP enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" - this will confirm which drive your OS is in.

Assuming C: enter sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and this will repair the files from an incorrupt source.

In the first command, that is the pipe symbol before find and in the second, there is a space before each forward slash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-12-27)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you use the sfc option and when it reports that it has repaired the files enter exit to close the CP, remove the DVD and select Restart.

You can then go into System Protection and delete all restore points as they are corrupt and then create a new one of the repaired OS.

It may also be worth running a full scan with the free version of MBAM as something must have corrupted those files.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15:
    Thanks for your help. I followed the 1st 3 steps, including the sevenforums tutorial. 3 of the 4 DLLs then SFC_scanned okay.
    The 4th one (gpedit.dll) didn't; and I got the following from the SFC scan:
    Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-g..policy-admin-gpedit_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ce0882 b8c63afdf6\gpedit.dll do not match actual file [l:20{10}]"gpedit.dll" :
    Found: {l:32 b:kr66STTQJj/SGCfMluAmidqauu1XH+iINrNGn3DUoo4=} Expected: {l:32 b:APoyRFs/y8q5FUUUqvnYUu7WNOvG8O1t5PIwVEdODBg=}

Is there anything else I could try to rectify this error?

Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I get a different file version in my WinSxS\x86 to yours, so if the version of the ISO download also differs to what you have in yours, then that could be where the mismatch arises.

Mine is listed as 6.1.17514_none_fcc0c5ed143b8eb0 but I don't know what the rest of the files that sfc refers to are, given what it found to what it expected.

I run Win 7 x64bit.

Did you download the correct ISO to match your version of Windows ?

What was your original reason for running a sfc /scannow ?

If this was my computer and a sfc continued to report that, I would probably back up my files and do a factory reset.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15:
    My original reason for running a sfc /scannow was because I kept getting a message telling me that I needed to choose either MSSE or Defender to start-up, when in fact MSSE was running. I found that the Security Center service wasn't running and couldn't be started (even though it was set to "automatic, delayed."

I have since resolved that issue, but in running the sfc's as part of solving that issue I came upon the 4 DLLs being corrupted - that started the whole thread here.

I am fairly certain that I chose the correct ISO and followed your suggested sevenforum's steps as outlined - but I will go back and double check my process.

Thanks,
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't had time to run the 7forum's tutorial to see the issue date for my version using the 1.xml file, but this could be where the file versions differ.

I don't know if the offboot sfc would work with your own install disk as it could report a compatibility issue, but that is one other thing that you could try after creating a restore point.

While researching this, I've come across 6.1.7601.17514 that had other files listed as 16385 but nothing relating to the Group Policy WinSxS files.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15:
    I rechecked my work; and, as you had suspected, I had mistakenly "plucked" the wrong file using the 1.xml file. I used the correct one, but still no joy.

So, I was planning to use my original W7 install disk (though it is non-SP1) and try that one last time.

I have to wait 'till Monday, since that disk is in my safe deposit box.

If that doesn't work, I am going to "give up the ghost" and live with the minor annoyance.

Thanks for your continued suggestions.

I will report back after I make this last attempt Monday.

Dick