New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt .msg files

On my new PC, running Win7 64 bit, 8 gb ram, all the .msg files transferred from the old XP3 (using PCmover program and cable) are corrupt. I cannot open, delete, move, or send or anything with them. A click on "Properties" shows no information and Outlook 2010 crashes, if open. If Outlook is not running, Windows explorer crashes. I've tried to delete a complete folder with the .msg files and the recycle program hangs. Event viewer logs these events (1002) but Action Center does not.
    Any help for this?
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Can you delete one .msg file?

Have you tried copying the files on the XP machine to an external drive manually using only Windows Explorer?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I cannot delete even one .msg file, or any folder that contains one. I did copy a file from XP, it opened properly in Win 7, so I copied all those from XP to a new file on Win 7, so I can access them if needed. The problem would be that I can't move, copy or delete those folders with the .msg. I can, however, open a file with Notepad, but that is completely beyond my ability to decipher.
    Just noticed that even a new Outlook email saved on my desktop as a .msg file is corrupt. In addition, my contacts are disappearing rapidly, even though they still appear in the address book. It's starting to look like the Outlook program itself has some problems. This is Outlook 2010.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by dpoellot; 2013-12-30 at 10:16. Reason: New info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried a repair of the Office install? See Repair Office programs for instructions.

When you save a msg file are you using Outlook to open it after it is saved?

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Repair your msg file by using following steps:

Click "Start," "Programs" and "Accessories."
    Right click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator."
    Type "chkdsk x: /r" and press "Enter," replacing "x" with the drive containing the MSG files.
    Press "Y" to confirm and restart the computer. The drive containing the MSG files will be repaired, hence repairing the files.

Hope it will work for you!!