5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change computer name and user account

My brother recently purchased a refurbished Windows 7 Professional 32-bit desktop about 2 months ago and it runs excellently. Now he wants to give it to one of our sisters because she needs a good computer. However, he would like to change the computers name HisName-PC and User account HisName to HerName-PC and HerName rwspectively
    --- I have read that it's possible to do so but I'm wondering how it affects system properties, maybe configurations that I don't know about and I'm always wondering about some gotcha

So I was thinking of creating a user account for HerName and then removing HisName user account
    --- This sounds to me like it should be ok

However, what about the computer name?
    --- Is it ok to just rename the computer?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yes, renaming the computer won't bring any issues, other than it not being reachable, in the local network, under the old name, which is not an issue,anyway.

About the accounts, yes, I think that would be the way to go.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-12-28)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Aye, the computer name change is no problem. However some software that was installed for all users and registered may lose the registration part if the originating user account is deleted. For instance Ashampoo software behaves that way; with the loss of the originating account it reverts to trial mode in the new account and needs to be activated again even though its the same darn program on the same darn computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-12-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice. Since the computer is only a couple of months old, I'm sure my brother doesn't have much in the way of all users programs. As far as I know he just plays Pogo games and some version of Microsoft Office and he told me he has the discs for it if it needs to be re-installed

My edit: all went well, thanks again
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2014-01-01 at 18:05.