New Lounger
    Thanks

bits permission change

while troubleshooting an update issue, I was using Sysinternals' Process Explorer to isolate excessive cpu cycles that my pc was having. I found that the problem was an instance of svchost, netsvcs in particular. While scrolling through the output, I came to the BITS service. For some unknown reasonI changed the permissions to deny rather than just stop the service to see if the cpu cycles would return to normal. Now when I go to services and try to start BITS, I get the following message:Unable to open service Background Intelligent Transfer Service for reading on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied

Can anyone suggest a way to restart BITS so that I may resume my troubleshooting into the Windows update issue? All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Are you using an account in the Administrators group for this?

Also, what is shown for the status of BITS in Services?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am using an admin account. The services page shows nothing in the status catagory for BITS.

Thanks
    Just curious....

Are you looking at the list of services after running "Services.msc" ???

I just looked at my own Services and near the top of the list of services is:
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service. (BITS) Mine is in Manual and not running.

If it's turned OFF, your Microsoft Auto Updates will not work.

I've found, that before shutting down any Service, it's a good idea to look at "Dependencies" to see if that service is needed by some even more important service.

That's all I can tell you right now.

Happy 2014

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!