2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore points - where do they go?

My plan was to establish a restore point every week or so to have a choice in case I needed to use one. When I open "Recovery" after booting and "choose a different ..." it commonly shows only one. Where are the others? Does W7 have a restore point garbage collection? How can I save more than one?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Did you set the "Choose a Different Restore Point Radio button at the bottom of the screen? The Show More Restore points on the next screen?

systemrestore.JPG

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I didn't make my post very clear. That button is the first thing I click when the screen comes up and, occasionally, there will be more than one item in the list. Usually it is only the most recent set. I have had occasion in the past to reject that set for an earlier one that I trusted more. In fact, that is why I want to have a choice of more than one.

There must be some way ...
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    The "some way" consists in allocating sufficient disk space to hold several System Restore Points!

Go through the sequence Control Panel -> System -> System Protection tab, and click on the C: drive then on the Configure button. Move the Disk Space Usage slider to a practical value (20 GB? 30 GB? more?) and OK all the way out.

Unfortunately there's no easy way (that I know of!) to determine how many SRPs you'll get into the allocated space; it's just trial and error, and the amount of space per SRP increases with time as you install more Stuff.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, it was at 3.5% now 10. When I get time, I'm going to figure out how to move the restores off onto another disk because C is solid state and small relative to the spinners.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Default is usually 5% but to save space on your SSD, you could turn System Protection off and create regular system images to an external HDD or, DVDs if you want a choice of restore points as they are over written on an external HDD.

Thanks
    I'm going to figure out how to move the restores off onto another disk
    System Restore files are tied to the disk they are monitoring and can't be moved.

Jerry