Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I got it to work by transferring the ISO file from the standard account to the administrator account. I now have a bootable USB drive.

I'll follow your above advice, Sudo, and let you know how it goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Heh, okay, I got some stuff to work with. Let's see if I can provide pictures before I head off to bed..

I inserted the USB/DVD and pressed F10, then I went to the BIOS screen.

I moved the USB Diskette to the first Boot order, then I booted from the USB drive.

It had a black bar at the bottom of the screen that said "Loading files", then I got to the "Install Windows" screen.

I click Next, and click "Repair My Computer". It then gives me this screen:

After it loads, I click the "Next" button and get this:

Did I do anything wrong?

I also got into some other screens, too (loaded up Command Prompt and tried typing the commands in #4, but they didn't do anything) but forgot what I did. I can bring those screens up on request, though I'd prefer to fix this first.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's usually the type of error you get if versions don't match, say if you have Windows 7 ISO but Windows 7 SP1 installed. Or maybe the wrong bit-version...something is not matching so the process aborts.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you go Start and right click on Computer then select Properties.

Next to System type will display if you have the 32 or 64 bit Operating System and at the top of the window will display if you have SP1.

@ CLINT - Those Digital River downloads include SP1.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-23 at 03:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I have a x64 bit operating system, but here are some more pics.

Think I tried to run a repair and I got stifled along the way.

I couldn't get into properties on Safe Mode so I just took a picture of the desktop.

(My computer won't load to the desktop unless I wait a godly long time or I boot to Safe Mode)

I'll try out those Digital River .ISOs and get back to you guys.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you confirmed which version of Win 7 you are using by the method I have posted ?

The link for the ISOs that I provided are the Digital River SP1 downloads.

How did you get to the Startup Repair from the previous error message in Post#17 ?

When you ran the offboot sfc /scannow what did it report or what did the computer do ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-20 at 12:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you confirmed which version of Win 7 you are using by the method I have posted ?

How did you get to the Startup Repair from the previous error message in Post#17 ?

When you ran the offboot sfc /scannow what did it report or what did the computer do ?
    I'll do these and respond to them tomorrow, been rather busy this week.

Appreciate you helping out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright, time to restart this - will get those two stuff tomorrow.

Sorry for the prolonged absences.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

I could not go to the desktop, so I used Safe Mode to go to the desktop. (Windows Build 7601 Service Pack 1)

When I clicked "Restore your computer using a system image" I got additional options, including to Startup Repair.

I will run sfc /scannow and get back to you tomorrow. Sorry for my constant delays - I'm fairly busy and can't find the time to sit down and fix it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    No rush.

Run the Startup Repair up to three times to see if that will do it and if that still reports that it is unable to auto repair, then run the offboot sfc /scannow as advised in Post #4.

Are you still unable to boot up with the ISO ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-07 at 03:46.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a reminder that I'm still alive - I'm fairly busy and whenever I have free time it's usually late at night where the last thing I want to do is open up this website and provide some updates. I'd tell myself 'alright, I'll try to find time tomorrow', and then no actually have time the next day. Vicious cycle.

I'll go ahead and do what you suggested, but frankly I'm frustrated at myself as to how long this is taking me. I think I made some progress but my work hours keep changing.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That's the problem with finding time and work commitments, but I'm sure some of us will still be around when you do

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yay, got time to do this.

From this screen:

I click "Restore your computer using a system image" and it shows me "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer". I click Cancel on that, then I get this screen:

I ran the Startup Repair three times and nothing happened. Do you want the diagnosis and repair log?

I typed in bcdedit |find "osdevice" from the above screen and I got

os device partition=D:

I then typed in sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows (I essentially substituted the Cs for the Ds) and got this:

Anything you can decipher from that?

If I'm actually supposed to do it with the OS and not from the flash drive (essentially booting up Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt), tell me.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You have executed the command from a bootable media as you were supposed to but while your pic is a little difficult to read the finer bits, where you have typed offbootdir=D: - it looks as if you have put a set of " before the D: to give offbootdir="D:\ which is why it has given you the Help commands for sfc.

Try the command again without any typos and then see what you get.

I sometimes run this command prior to creating a system image onto an external HDD and once made a typo, so I now read through it before pressing Enter.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-23 at 04:06.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran it without any typos and it said "The offline image has a different platform architecture than the running system. This is not supported for system repair."

Try the C drive?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast