Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Platform architecture refers to 32 or 64 bit systems which strongly suggests that you have downloaded the wrong version of Win 7 and you are going to have to double check which version is installed.

As previously posted, go Start - right click on Computer then click on Properties.

At the top of the page will show Windows 7 Home Premium as well as SP1 in that section.

Lower down the page under System will display either 32 or 64 bit.

If it displays as 32 bit then you need to download the Home Premium file for x86 or the x64 if it displays as a 64 bit system.

As you said earlier that you were unable to select Properties in Safe Mode (don't know why because I can), another way to check if you are using a 64 bit system is to go Start - Computer (or click on yellow folder in the system tray) - Windows (C) - you will have a folder for Program Files as well as a one for Program Files (x86).

The Program Files folder is for 64 bit based programs and the (x86) is for 32 bit based programs.

I don't know what it would display as if you are just using a 32 bit system as I've never been inside of one.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright, will do that sometime.. soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bump.

Making a mental note to do this later tonight.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Sudo,

32-bit systems only have a "Program Files" folder.

Zig

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-03-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so I was tinkering with it a bit a couple of days ago, and decided to reformat the hard drive, since nothing else (including restoring to the restore point) worked. And, guess what - I'm posting from the laptop now!

Thanks guys. Most of my stuff was in the cloud and I have a backup (from last year, I think) so I can probably get some of my data back. We can finally put this thread to rest.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say a format was a bit more than a tinker but glad that you have it up and running again.

I take it that you didn't manage to get that Win 7 ISO to work and did you ever find if it is a 32 or 64 bit system ?

Thanks
    Most of my stuff was in the cloud and I have a backup (from last year, I think) so I can probably get some of my data back
    Don't forget the most important lesson that should be learned here; Your backup strategy is not as effective as it could be.
    ...Something to work on
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123