Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall question

I'm running W7 Home Premium, SP1. My original installation disk is non-SP1. Suppose for reasons I won't bore you with I want to go back and reinstall W7 using the original disk.

My question is this: assume a 500GB disk broken into 2 partitions, 1 for the OS and 1 for data. Will the reinstallation confine itself to the OS partition only; or will it clear the whole disk, including the data partition?

Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    During installation you are given the option of where to install the O/S, it won't format the full disk unless you tell it to do so by going into advanced options.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-12-31)

Thanks
    Yes, if you select the installation partition, even if you use the optional Format during the installation, only the partition you have chosen will be formatted and the installation will only affect that disk. I have a separate Data partition (have since Win XP) and until I upgraded Win 8 to Win 8.1 have always used the Clean Install with Format and have never touched my data.

Once you are finished with the reinstall, you will have to change the pointers in the OS to again point to the Data folders.

As always, make an Image before proceeding.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-12-31)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I take it that you were unable to extract the gpedit.dll from your own install disk ?

If you don't have a Recovery partition to factory reset with then http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html will take you through a clean install, but you may want to back up your drivers folder which could make life a little easier and can be found in Windows/System32.

You could also use the SP1 ISO for the clean install but will need to use the generic product key if using an OEM built machine and Belarc Advisor will list that and other product keys for any other licensed software that you may have installed.

An alternative to a clean install is the Repair Install which may be a better option.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-12-31)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15:
    Sorry I didn't report back after securing my original install disk from by box.
    I was able to extract gpedit.dll from that cd; but I still got the same results after running sfc.

I may be mistaken (what else is new) but I thought the Repair Install got hung up with the fact of my product key being for W7 and my now running W7 SP1.

I would love to be able to do a Repair Install instead of going back to square one.

Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    SP1 is just a Windows update for Win 7 and not a new OS unlike the 8/8.1 equivalent.

Are you using an OEM or Home built machine ?

Edit

Just been having a refresher of the Repair install article and remembered trying on my laptop with the SP1 ISO and the upgrade option was almost completed when it decided it couldn't do it (twice) so I had to sit through it restoring the old OS, so either a factory reset or the clean install may be the only options.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-31 at 10:29.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My desktop is a Dell OEM that came preinstalled with Windows 98. Along the way I purchased a W7 cd from Amazon and migrated to W7 Home Premium. Further along I upgraded to SP1.

Sounds like I should try the repair install - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Does that sound right, Sudo15?

Thanks,
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, at worst it can only fail and will auto roll back.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One last reality check:
    I should use the SP1 CD I created from the Digital River ISO download to do the Repair Install, right; and not the original W7 cd?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Reading through the article it mentions that after loading the SP1 ISO, to insert your original non SP1 disk before clicking on the setup.exe - not sure why that is unless it's to ensure that you are repairing with the same Edition as is installed.

Reading through the beginning of the article as to which disks can be used seems a little confusing, but read fully through the steps of the article and/or print them out before proceeding.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just had another look and yes, you can use the SP1 ISO.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. Off I go to do the Repair Install . . .

Later, I'll be back with a report on how it went.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good Luck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I needed it. I solved the issue in a round-about way.
    When I used the SP1 ISO it looked like things were going to go well.
    It got to the last step, where it says: transferring files, setups, and programs.
    Part way through, after getting the message: installing devices and setting up your system, the install failed:
    "We could not configure 1 or more system components."

After that install reverted back to my original system, I finally had a "brain storm."
    I remembered what started this whole adventure, and the 4 DLLs that couldn't be fixed by SFC.
    I put in my original non-SP1 CD, and looked for these 4; and they weren't listed there.
    So, because I had images of my OS and Data, I took a leap of faith and moved these DLLs from system32 to a holding file I set up.
    I rebooted and ran SFC, which ran successfully to completion.
    When I looked in the CBS log I saw that SFC pulled these 4 back into Windows from Winsxs.
    So, I think I am good to go.

Thanks to all for your help; and especially Sudo15 who hung in with me all the way through.

Happy New Year to all,
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that was about as far as I got with the upgrade option which was annoying given how long it had taken, but glad to hear that you had found a workaround.

And a Happy New Year to you too.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast