New Lounger
    Thanks

LPT port card or USB to LPT cord converter

I have an HP 4050. An old LPT model. Still works great. How should I hook it up to My Windows 7 Pro Computer? Should I buy a LPT card that has a LPT port on it or should I buy a USB to LPT cable to plug it in to the USB port on the computer? Is one theortically better than the other?

RJH

Thanks in advance. In dread every month from Patch Tuesday.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I would have thought a card would be cheaper - I assume you have a cable. Apart from that it shouldn't matter which you use.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A USB to LPT adaptor would have the advantage of being able to plug the printer into any computer that was capable of hosting the required drivers.

Apart from price, the only disadvantage of a USB adaptor that I know of is that it may not work in some hobbyist applications such as robotics that use an LPT port as a cheap 'bit-bashed' parallel I/O. For a printer, it should be fine.

I'd have thought that an old printer like that would be on borrowed time? I know they made them to last back then, but...