Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista image backup

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. If so, I couldn't find it.

I just spent quite a lot of time on a family member's laptop that runs Vista Home Basic. It had a serious crash & burn episode. I was able to recover some files but, in the end, I had to replace the HD and reinstall the OS. I personally jumped from WinXP to Win7. So, I'm not very familiar with Vista. Now that the OS is re-installed I find that, unlike Win7, Vista does not have the ability to make system images or repair/recovery disks. Maybe it's just the Home Basic version that doesn't have it. Anyway, now that I have a fresh install and all is working well again, I would like to make a recovery image. I'm hoping that Microsoft has a bootable CD or download of a Vista version of these programs. Since this will probably be used one time for making the recovery image and hopefully never for recovery/repair, I would like to find something at a nominal cost. I know there are some commercial products available.

Thanks
    Last edited by Yobil; 2013-12-13 at 16:12.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    There are excellent free imaging products. Do a quick search for Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Back,they will both allow you to create images and boot discs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

77Rob (2013-12-21),lien (2013-12-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    Thanks. I found that the free version of Easeus ToDo does just what I want. It made multiple image disks and a boot disk that I can give back to my daughter along with the fixed laptop. If this ever happens again, the system can be reinstalled more easily and quickly than what I just went through.
    I appreciate your advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    You're welcome.
    Rui
    -------
    R4