New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 freeze after display turns off (timed)

I have a Toshiba U500 note book with NVIDIA display driver. I have the latest NVidia driver. The screen often freezes after power saving settings turns the display off and I try to resume using the computer by hitting the keyboard or moving the mouse. The display wakes up, the mouse cursor moves but does nothing. Programs are running in the backround (ie. motion detect still notifies me from the remote camera audibly).. I have to power down and restart to get any response from the keyboard or mouse. I have had this problem for over a year and just disabled the the display timeout.
    I resumed the attempt to fix this a couple days ago. I have tried a lot of different settings and after reading several posts one suggestion was that Direct X may have been causing the problem. I finally tried changing the visual effects under Performance Information and Tools in the control panel. I clicked Adjust for best performance.... Problem Solved. Never again has the computer frozen after coming out of turning off the display. Thought I would share this just in case anyone else has seen this. I had to give up the fancy windows visual effects. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Have you tried an updated graphics driver?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome.... I have the latest NVidia driver. (NVidia GeForce 310M driver date 8/29/2013). I have updated several times over the years and no improvement...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does the computer go into sleep mode, as well?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope.... Computer stays awake monitoring a camera motion detection. Hard drive sleeps after 15 minutes of inactivity. The computer fully functions all the time... the displays are set to turn off by the power plan. The only fix so far is to stop all the complicated stuff the display driver does for the fancy visual window effects. (see above)...

Administrator
    Thanks
    It really seems like a graphics card / driver related issue. If you set the display not to be shut off and just shut off the monitor, does the situation persist?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Notebook OEMs often have special versions of devices which do not have all of the functionality of the native device especially graphics cards. You are almost always better off using a driver from the notebook OEM if your graphics card is not one you added.

Joe