Thanks

Assigning a Drive Letter to a USB drive

I see that in Disk management I can assign a letter to a USB drive, and that when re-inserted, that letter will again be set to that flash drive.

But what if that letter has been set for some other purpose while the flash drive is "out"? Will is move other items in order to re-establish the assignment, or pick the next letter?

I was going to try switching things around, but with my luck I figured I might screw something up!

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    USB mass storage devices are assigned the next available letter, if the one assigned is attached it will skip over it, if not, that letter gets used. To prevent that from happening, assign the drive that you want to remain constant regardless of attachment status, a letter deeper in the alphabet, like O or S or T, whatever give you plenty of room for other USB storage devices to come and go without affecting the constant assignment.
    Or use the little utility RG uses to maintain drive letter assignments. It was posted here not too long (month or so) ago.

Thanks
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"