New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with website trying to load itself

I recently purchased a Dell with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have AVG anti-virus and ZoneAlarm free firewall. When I go to a site such as CNet, rather than downloading the program selected, another Firefox window will open trying to connect to www.strsrv.comwith a long string of letters & numbers, which does not load, because I do not allow the redirected sites to open without my specifically authorizing.

I have searched the program list in the control panel and do not see what I recognize as causing this.

Any advice on how to solve this will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    CNet has been widely reported as a source for malware and it's best to find an alternative download site whenever possible.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/avoi...-com-crapware/ is just one of many articles that a Google search will produce regarding CNet and infections.

If you are also redirected when using other than CNet, then check your add-ons as you may have already picked up a malicious one, but as a safeguard use AdwCleaner to check/clean any of those out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

jdbrad (2014-01-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will try adwcleaner. Even when I logged into this site the new firefox window popped up trying to load. I appreciate your advice.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try Malwarebytes (Free & paid) it is one the most recommended malware removers.
    Also check your Firefox settings (Options. tabs) and check 'Open new windows in a new tab instead'.
    This should stop new windows from opening just a new tab instead.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2014-01-02 at 16:38.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. I think that I have found the problem and, at least for now, have stopped the problem after much work. It appears that I somehow got "mysearch.com" loaded onto the computer. It was taking control and would not even let me get some of the programs that I needed. It kept downloading arcade games, etc and when I tried to get programs to cure it, I would be redirected.

I completely removed firefox, went in and got things removed from IE and could then get to sites. I then reloaded firefox and it seems to be working correctly now, although I think there is still some remnant. Once, a program tried to autoload, but ZoneAlarm stopped it. My search still shows as being there, but shows as disabled. Haven't figured out how to completely remove it yet, but hope things continue working ok.

Oh yes, I forgot, I had run Malware Bytes but it was not finding anything. Neither was AVG. I guess because somehow I had loaded the program - I don't know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Mysearch and its variants are classed as PuPs and an article I came across said that Mysearch can rebuild itself if not completely removed, which could be what you have already witnessed with ZoneAlarm.

Running AdwCleaner and resetting IE to defaults will help but checking Program Files and Program Files(x86) for any related folders will also help to get rid of any residue.

These folders may not be named Mysearch but that of its source name, so open any folders that you aren't sure of to see if they contain anything related to Mysearch.

Also go Start, type regedit - press Enter - Yes and navigate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software as well as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and look for similar named items to right click on and select Delete.

If you aren't sure of an item but looks suspect, you can back it up first using File/Export then reinstate it after the Delete using File/Import if there are any adverse or no effects, or just create a restore point before making any changes.