Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    'Appreciate your advice, winsong02. The laptop is several years old (Intel Core2 Duo P8800 @ 2.66GHz) so cost of repair could prove excessive. 'Probably shouldn't ask this, but can you recommend a technician in the Austin-Round Rock area?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Certainly your idea is worth a try. Thank you for your 'outta the box' ideas...greatly appreciate. I'll shut down tonite and try your earlier idea then upon completion of the cmos batt ritual I'll connect a Dell monitor. That will allow another review of the 3 keyboard lights as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also suggest saving your data

On the specs you provided I just bought a refurbished computer with very similar specs with Win7 Pro for only 244.00 for my brother and it works like a charm. As you said the cost of repairing your computer could become excessive so I thought I would mention the items I just did

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks again, cmptrgy. I've tried the workarounds you suggested. No difference was noted in booting except the frayed wire, or other issue, is getting worse so cold booting is certain to fail soon, so appreciate the lead on refurbs. I'll also try to do a tech repair if I can find one where the cost warrants proceeding. Enjoy your weekend.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to do2 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-10)

Thanks
    Two things:

1. An identical refurbished laptop would mean that you could just swap hard drives and be immediately back in business, if there is a non-hard drive hardware problem with your laptop. Walmart.com is a good place to go for a refurbished computer. They are less expensive there than at other places, and if there is a problem with it, you can easily return it at any Wal Mart.

2. No one has suggested that you test the battery you received from Dell, to make sure that it's a good battery. If it proves to be a bad battery, you can get the same battery at most stores (e.g. Walgreens) for just a few dollars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123