New Lounger
    Thanks

trying to install win 7 64bit to on a win 8 PC

So I'm dealing with the fallout from recommending to my Rabbi that he get a new PC to replace an 8 year old, no longer suitable for task Win XP machine. He now has an HP Pavillion 500, which had win 8.1 preinstalled. The machine ihas UEFI and has a GPT disk. His printer doesn't work on win 8, though the vendor is promising a new driver in 1Q 2014, which is of limited help since he needs to print stuff now. So someone else got him a copy of win 7 x64 to install, because there are working drivers for this printer with win 7 64.

So I tried to install win 7 into the same partition that has win 8 now, with a clean install. When the win 7 installation tries to reboot, there's a win 8 boot manager on the system that detects the win 7 boot as an improperly signed driver and won't allow it to start. No way around that that I could find. So now I'm thinking I have to delete some of the partitions on the disk, which I was loathe to do because I want to allow the system to be reset back to win 8.1 if that becomes desired over time.

The partitions on the disk are as follows:

Partition 1: Windows RE tools 1023 MB/646 Free type: OEM (Reserved)
    Partition 2: System (f 363 MB/305 Free type: System
    Partition 3: 128MB/128 MB Free type: MSR (reserved)
    Partition 4: Windows (C 914.9GB/879.8 GB Free type: Primary
    Partition 5: Recovery Image: (D 15.1 GB/1.9GB Free Type: OEM (Reserved)

I'd like to keep access to the recovery image so I'll leave that one. I figure some or all of the first three partitions need to go to make the win 7 installation stick. Which should be safe to remove?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Most likely, it's not a partitions problem, but a Secure Boot issue. You should try to get into the bios and see if you can disable Secure Boot. After doing that, likely the laptop will boot Windows 7.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

icebox (2014-01-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks rui, it's actually a desktop, but disabling secure boot did the trick. Now to install the drivers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Great, I am glad you sorted it .
    Rui
    -------
    R4