Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Windows 8.1 driver install fails with "Data is invalid"

    Hi All,

    This last weekend I clean installed Windows 8.1 x64. There were no obvious problems with the install and the activation went through without a hitch.

    The machine is home built i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz on an ASUS P8Z68-v pro/gen3 with latest bios, 2x samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID-0 and 8GB RAM. It has been running windows 7 x64 for a year with 0 problems.

    I then installed all my drivers and updates and all was well. Then I tried to install the driver for my WD USB HDD via Windows Update and got error code 0x8007000D. I manually downloaded the driver package from WD's site and tried that. It also failed saying that driver setup program ended prematurely. I tried updating the driver manually from the inf file and got the message "Data is invalid". Seeing as how the drive still worked I decided to not worry about it.

    I then tried to install the driver package for my jMicron eSATA controller (JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.65_WHQL_eSATA.zip) and which failed with message "UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices: Error". I tried to install the driver manually via the inf file in device manager and got the message "Data is invalid".

    Attempting to manually install the MTP USB driver (it didn't work automatically) for my old samsung mp3 player failed with the message "Data is invalid".

    So, I am trying to sort fix this problem. I have tried the following things which I found at various places online with no joy:
    sfc /scannow
    Rename the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" and the "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2" folders in safe mode
    Ran the dism commands from the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ror-0x8007000d
    Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter which says it found and corrected some problems
    Ran sigverif which reports that all device drivers are signed

    I haven't been able to find anything that looks relevant in the event viewer.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as I am out of ideas?

    Regards to all.

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi All,

    I was able to solve the problem!

    The System Events Broker service had been set to Manual instead of Auto. After resetting it back to Auto and rebooting, the problem has gone away.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,554
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 614 Times in 550 Posts
    Nice detective work. Thanks for posting back.

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •