5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Failed backup using Windows 7 desktop Backup & restore utility

I tried to create an image backup to an external disk using the Windows 7 built in utility but I get the following message
    The backup failed. One of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on a fixed drive, is not formatted NTFS or is read-only. To convert the file system on a volume from FAT32 to NTFS, at an elevated command prompt type: CONVERT <volumeletter> /FS:NTFS (0X8078011d)

Information
    The following drives will be backed up: NEW VOLUME (System) & (C (System)

In Disk Management
    Disk 0 is partitioned as
    New Volume 4.30 GB FAT32 Healthy etc & (C 144.75 GB NTFS Healthy etc
    --- When I tried to format the New Volume partition to NTFS from the disk management screen I got the following message: Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk

So my main question is
    How can I format the system partition to NTFS?
    --- My Windows 7 laptop has its system partition already formatted as NTFS so I believe its possible to do so on this desktop computer

I am using an Administrator account when I get into disk management; however, do I have to “upgrade” or something in order to format the NEW VOLUME (System) from FAT32 to NTFS?

I do know how to use the command prompt to run as administrator but the recommendation to use CONVERT <volumeletter> /FS:NTFS (0X8078011d) confuses me because the NEW VOLUME (System) doesn’t have its own <volumeletter>
    --- Does it make sense to use CONVERT <NEWVOLUME (System)> /FS:NTFS (0X8078011d)?
    --- Normally I would just try it but if that’s a mistake I don’t have a way to recover unless I know System Restore would work

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I wouldn't change anything because of a stupid native backup restriction. Get Macrium Free and use it instead. If you don't want to install it, use it from another computer, create a boot disc, boot from the boot disc and create the image you want.

I don't think you will be able to convert your partition without a 3rd party tool and I really wouldn't recommend that you do so without a backup, thus my advice.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-03)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, there may be a good reason it is formatted to FAT32 (or not) and resistant to changes.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will install Macrium Free and use it with the computer as is

Last night I found http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/w...#1TC=windows-7 that explains how to convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS and the way to do so is
    convert C: /fs:ntfs Type the name of the volume you want to convert: NEW VOLUME then press Enter
    --- Since this is a Winows 7 OS, I don't understand why a FAT32 partition makes sense but I'll accept it for now
    --- I have to admit I'm tempted to try it sooner or later but I want to make sure the Macrium Free works ok for at least 2 backups
    --- Since I only do a monthly backup that's 2 months away
    --- At the same time I usually go by "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so Ill keep that in mind especially since the computer runs fine plus I don't even know the purpose of that "hidden partition" or how to use it if I had to

Tag team spammer.
    Thanks
    solution 1 Try diskpart.exe please

DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> select disk (id)
    DISKPART> online disk (if the disk is not online)
    DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly
    DISKPART> clean
    DISKPART> convert mbr (or gpt)
    DISKPART> create partition primary
    DISKPART> select part 1
    DISKPART> active (if this is the boot partition)
    DISKPART> format fs=ntfs label=(name) quick
    DISKPART> assign letter (letter)
    DISKPART> list volume

Good luck
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-25 at 10:32.