Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unable to switch from Windows Update to Microsoft Update

    On a new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit computer I am unable to access Microsoft updates. Windows update works fine, but when I click the link to get updates for other Microsoft Products it will only take me to the screen that tells me to use the start menu to check for updates. I have also tried other links to Microsoft Update from other Microsoft webpages and end up with the same result.

    The Microsoft Update checkbox is also missing from the 'Change Settings' page in Windows Update.

    I have Office 2013 Standard installed and activated, and from previous installation experience know that I should be able to access numerous updates through this method.

    To verify that I am able to install updates for Office I manually downloaded and installed one Office 2013 update through the Microsoft download site.

    How do I get this machine to switch to Microsoft Update?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 798 Times in 719 Posts
    Try to update Windows Update agent as documented here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

    2.Restart the Windows Update service. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.Press the Windows logo Key+R to open the Run box.
    b.Type services.msc in the Run box, and then press Enter.
    c.Right-click Windows Update in the Services management console, and then click Stop.
    d.After Windows Update stops, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start.

    3.Wait for Windows Update to start, and then verify that the Windows Update Agent is updated. For more information about how to check which version of the Windows Update Agent is installed, go to the "How to check which version of the Windows Update Agent is installed" section in this Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article.

    How to check which version of the Windows Update Agent is installed

    1.Open the %systemroot%\system32 folder. %systemroot% is the folder in which Windows is installed. For example, the %systemroot% folder is C:\Windows.
    2.Right-click Wuaueng.dll, and then click Properties.
    3.Click the Details tab, and then locate the file version number.
    Note The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8.1 is 7.9.9600.16422. The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8 is 7.8.9200.16693. The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is 7.6.7600.256.

    Jerry

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I already have the latest version of Windows Update Agent, so this isn't my solution, but it is good documentation for updating Windows Update Agent.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No go. Everything there loops me back to the same useless "Use the Start Menu to check for updates" webpage.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    The Shack (2014-01-03)

  8. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes!! The suggestion to install Silverlight and have the box checked at the end of the install process to "Update Silverlight and other Microsoft products" that is suggested in the link 'I cannot enable Microsoft Update in Windows 7' from JoeP517 did the job. Thanks much.

    FYI to anyone else with this issue: I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2013, but that did not work either.

  9. #8
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shack View Post
    On a new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit computer I am unable to access Microsoft updates. Windows update works fine, but when I click the link to get updates for other Microsoft Products it will only take me to the screen that tells me to use the start menu to check for updates. I have also tried other links to Microsoft Update from other Microsoft webpages and end up with the same result.

    The Microsoft Update checkbox is also missing from the 'Change Settings' page in Windows Update.

    I have Office 2013 Standard installed and activated, and from previous installation experience know that I should be able to access numerous updates through this method.

    To verify that I am able to install updates for Office I manually downloaded and installed one Office 2013 update through the Microsoft download site.

    How do I get this machine to switch to Microsoft Update?
    I used to have the same concerns as you since I have Win 7 x64 and Office 2013, but after reading one of Susan Bradley's "Patch Watch" column's I realized that Office 2013 updates on it's own and so there is no need for "Microsoft Updates" anymore ( which covers all MS products ). That's why when you put Microsoft Updates url in, it reverts to windows updates, because Office 2013 has already or will soon, update.
    To see Office updates, just open an office 2013 document and go to "File", "Account" and there will be a page that opens where you can see what updates and the dates they were installed, listed. You can also change the update behavior if you want to.
    Hopefully this clarifies some of your questions.

  10. #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I used to have the same concerns as you since I have Win 7 x64 and Office 2013, but after reading one of Susan Bradley's "Patch Watch" column's I realized that Office 2013 updates on it's own and so there is no need for "Microsoft Updates" anymore ( which covers all MS products ). That's why when you put Microsoft Updates url in, it reverts to windows updates, because Office 2013 has already or will soon, update.
    To see Office updates, just open an office 2013 document and go to "File", "Account" and there will be a page that opens where you can see what updates and the dates they were installed, listed. You can also change the update behavior if you want to.
    Hopefully this clarifies some of your questions.
    Only Office 365 Pro Plus updates on its own using click-to-run technology. The standard DVD or MSI install of Office 2103 uses Microsoft Update.

    Joe

  11. #10
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Only Office 365 Pro Plus updates on its own using click-to-run technology. The standard DVD or MSI install of Office 2103 uses Microsoft Update.

    Joe
    Hmmm, interesting. I have Office 2013 Pro Plus on my win 7 64 bit and on my win 7 32 bit I have Office 2003 Pro. When I use Windows Update on the win 7 32 bit, it finds all the office 2003 updates.
    I was unaware that other versions of office 2013 didn't use Click-to-Run. Thanks Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •