Thread: Search

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Search

Windows XP had a search feature that actually searched. W8 does not. Someone posted a Search feature that worked. I had to reset this to original and lost the search feature.
    Please, repost the "Search" add on.
    I will be eternally grateful and I promise to save to flashdrive if you re-post.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kevin, I do not want to be ants at your picnic but Search works fine here. I did one for *.doc and it showed me 67 of them. I am on Win-8. Jean.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean, this is more what I had in mind, www.voidtools.com/ Something that will search hidden files and folders if you want it to and searches the entire computer. I did not not want to run separate searches in each library.
    Thanks for the help.
    Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks
    You do not have to run searches in each library. You may need to modify what is indexed and how Windows searches non-indexed folders. Open Control Panel and type "search" (without the quotation marks) in the search box. Then change the indexing options and folder options. After changing the index options I recommend you use the "Advanced" button and force the index to be deleted and rebuilt. NOTE: rebuilding the index may be time consuming.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-01-06)

Thanks
    In Windows 8, you had to search Programs, Control Items, and Files separately. In Windows 8.1, the search is global (as it should be in my opinion). The global search is sufficient for most daily searches but I still prefer Everything Search for those hard to find files.

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-01-06)