Lounger
    Thanks

Adding a third monitor

For years my spouse's system has had two 19" Dell monitors, both connected to an ATI FireGL V3350 card which has two DVI connections. Works great as extended display with DisplayFusion on Windows 7/64-bit.

This is an office system; we have no gaming level demands on video performance.

Now she would like a third monitor (we have another identical Dell model) and my attempt to add another video card (Radeon HD 4350) PCIe 1x failed miserably. It automatically disabled the ATI card and I had to use System Restore to undo my mistake.

The Gigabyte motherboard supports 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 with ATI CrossFireX (one slot has the ATI FireGL card, one is open).

My question is - can I add another card to support a third (extended) monitor and would an identical video card be needed/desired?

BTW, in case there's a single card able to drive all three displays, they only have VGA and DVI connections, not HDMI, so I assume a card with HDMI out would require an adapter. Does that work well?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Thanks
    My question is - can I add another card to support a third (extended) monitor and would an identical video card be needed/desired?
    It would be most desirable to have the same make of video card, but it's not absolutely mandatory.

USB to DVI adapters in SpywareDr's link is another option. Performance isn't great, but your not gaming anyway, so not much of a concern.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Don't know about games but the USB-to-DVI adapter is more than fast enough for videos and movies. Works great.