New Lounger
    Thanks

"Return to Desktop" Icon?

Is it possible to place an icon on the taskbar or system try that will return me to the Desktop in one click?

I frequently have a couple of desktop applications open (full-screen). If I want to return to the desktop, I must manually minimize each window before the desktop appears.

I know I can right-click the taskbar and then select "show the desktop", right-click the lower left or upper left and select Desktop, or Windows + D keys.

Being lazy, I would like to just click once on an icon to return to the desktop. Kind of like the Windows 7 "Show Desktop" button at the end of the taskbar.

Thanks so much for your help and time.

Planckster

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just click in the bottom right corner (to the right of the clock in the system tray, where it displays the desktop temporarily if you hover).

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the good old-fashioned quick launch still has a show desktop icon in it you could use that. My Win 8 hasn't been running for about two full moons now so I don't remember if it's still there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,

That works like a charm! When I take my pointer all the way to the right of the taskbar clock it doesn't display anything but clicking takes me to the desktop.

Thanks again for your help and time.

Planckster

New Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown,

My quick launch (system tray) area doesn't have a show desktop icon. Check out Bruce's reply--it worked for me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Planckster

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are running Windows 8.1, you can right click the Start button. Desktop is the last item in the list.

Joe

Thanks
    Unless you have replace the Win 8.1 Start Button with a Start Menu Replacement App as many of us have done. In that case Bruce's method is the easiest.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    The OP did not state that. Maybe he has figured out that he does not really need a start menu replacement app particularly with Windows 8.1. I'm trying to answer for native Windows.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and even though you can't see the "show desktop" button, it's to the right of the system clock in the bottom right of the task bar. If you click in the blank area next to the system clock, it will show/hide the desktop.